Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Active or Passive? HDMI/DVI to VGA conversion  (Read 6413 times)

jjitter

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
    Active or Passive? HDMI/DVI to VGA conversion
    « on: August 16, 2016, 12:34:29 PM »
    Hello All.
    I am looking to connect my PC with a Asus H-97 Pro motherboard, which has a HDMI out, DVI out to a Dell monitor with VGA input. VGA out on the CPU is already connected to the first monitor. Now I read that since HDMI, DVI are digital signals and VGA is analog, there is no way a passive 'converter' can be used to connect.
    But then I always read such mixed reviews of such passive cables where one says it doesn't work, while the other says its perfect! Couple of videos where passive cables worked to connect HDMI out to VGA input. So I wonder how is it working for them? Where is the conversion happening for them? When and what exactly is this passive HDMI to VGA cable used for? Do they work for gaming stations and not CPUs?

What is the trick to figuring out active or passive when connecting digital out to analog in? Is it safe to assume that it definitely requires an active circuitry?
    Coming back to my situation, what type of adapter should I buy? I have a HDMI out, DVI-D dual link out on my CPU and a VGA input Dell Monitor.

Thank you!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Active or Passive? HDMI/DVI to VGA conversion
    « Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 01:51:58 PM »
    Let me do a quick response.
    Don't bu anything. Not yet. Consider all your options carefully, HDMI to VGA conversion and the other way can be a disaster.
    After giving this some thought here's what I'm thinking. I am thinking you could buy yourself another graphics card that will provide you the output you need. Here's my reasoning. Doing the conversion of HDMI to VGA requires the use of an active adapter that only works in one direction.
    Here's the problem. Some of the adapters people want to sell you are wrong way adapters you ask for HDMI to the VGA  and they'll try to sell you the opposite. They might try to sell you a VGA to HDMI active adapter. And there's no such thing as any passive adapter that converts digital to analog or analog-to-digital. Not really.
    The cost of a good active adapter may be about the same price as what you would pay for a good used dual VGA monitor.
    Just about a week ago had to go through some of this stuff myself. At the present time you can pick up a very good television set with an HDMI input for a very reasonable price. You might consider the value of your current VGA monitor. What is it worth? If you want to keep using the VGA monitors I strongly recommend you go get a dual graphics card that has two VGA outputs. The card does not have to be expensive . In most cases any kind of PCI graphics card will outperform the built-in graphics on the motherboard. Actually, I really don't know what graphics your motherboard has, but the general consensus is that on board graphics are never as good as any kind of PCI graphics.
    Now if you really, really want to do the HDMI to VGA conversion, you can get such things available at Amazon, New Egg and even eBay. Of course, you need to be careful when shopping on eBay. What you want is an adapter that goes from your video card over to the VGA input.
    HDMI is the future for digital display systems.
    I realize this is longer than what I had intended. In short, you have to have an active adapter to convert the digital signal to a VGA monitor. Check and see if the monitor has any other input options. Quite a few monitors nowadays have some kind of DVI connector. The DVI connector is most often a digital only connector, or in some cases it is a digital and analog connector in one package. My guess is that your motherboard probably has provisions for supplying either digital output or VGA output or even both. If both, it means that one monitor can be digital and the other monitor can be analog.
    But I am thinking that for the price of just one active adapter you could buy a cheap dual VGA card. That's what I wanted to say.
    Pardon me for the heirs you'll find in this. I wanted to respond to you right away and not take an hour or so to try to collect my spelling errors.  :)
    « Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 02:15:26 PM by Geek-9pm »

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 04:42:54 PM »
    Whether that Dell supports dual monitors or not will be found in your Owner's Manual...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jjitter

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 05:32:16 AM »
      Thanks a lot Geek! Forgot to mention my graphics card. Its an Intel HD graphics 4600, which does support multiple displays. The manual says multi-vga output, 1xDVI, 1xHDMI. I read that multi-VGA output will not give me an extended display. Or can it?
      I was really hoping to avoid buying one more graphics card, or a HDMI monitor because of the price. Cant afford either at this point of time. My only option is to wait to buy one of these, or find a working adapter.  :( Any idea on the cheapest GPU i can buy just to have a VGA out?

So is it safe to say that there is no such thing as a passive DAC/ADC, and all products advertising that are a scam? I just want be sure of this since this piece of info can help me buy any product in the future, not just a display. Does something like passive DAC even exist?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 04:57:21 PM »
      Most of the recent graphics cards support two displays. Inside,it is, of course,digital. Some DVI connectors provide one VGA and one digital output.
      DVI to HDMI is not hard.

But conversion to VGA is s job. It takes so active stuff.

Google searches:

HDMI vs. DisplayPort vs. DVI vs. VGA: Which connection to choose ...
      www.cnet.com › Home Entertainment CNET
      Dec 10, 2013 - If you're looking to connect a computer to a TV or monitor, your choices are HDMI, DisplayPort, DVI, and VGA. What's the best connection?

DVI Information, DVI-I DVI-D DVI-A DVI and HDMI connector and ...
      www.ramelectronics.net › Support and DIY Tutorials
      Those with monitors with DFP connectors would need a DVI-D to DFP cable. You cannot directly connect DVI-D or DFP to VGA, since you need an analog to ...

Digital Visual Interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface
      Wikipedia
      Digital Visual Interface (DVI) is a video display interface developed by the Digital Display ... Like modern analog VGA connectors, the DVI connector includes pins for the display data channel (DDC). A newer .... DVI and HDMI have the same electrical specifications for their TMDS and VESA/DDC links. However HDMI and ...

See that little horizontal bar? That area is for analog video.

Cheap HDMI to VGA. Sear for this and invariably they give the wrongthing.
      wrong thing.
      Amazon got it right.
      Look here:
      https://www.amazon.com/Ableconn-HDMI2VGAA-Active-Adapter-Converter/dp/B00Y07LB0C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471560807&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=monitor+cable+hdmi+to+vga&psc=1
      The lightweight and portable adapter let you connect an digital HDMI output device to a legacy monitor/projector with VGA analog input.
      Built with Chrontel CH7101A chipset. The active adapter converts digital HDMI signals to analog VGA. Product includes a Micro-USB cable which provides additional power for devices/computers with low power output from HDMI port such as MacBook Pro with Retina Display, Mac Mini.

Price:   $12.99 Free Shipping for Prime Members.

Does that help?

jjitter

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 07:01:24 AM »
        Thanks geek.

Will go with a converter. Looks like a good option since HDMI monitors are out of question as of now budget-wise. Plus will always have options open with a converter.

And if I may correct you, its not the horizontal bar, but the four squares around the horizontal bar that carry analog. Thats why you dont see them in DVI-D connectors which are purely digital. If the horizontal bar, which is there on all the connectors carried the analog,  we wouldnt need a converter since they all have the horizontal bar. Check this out -

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:DVI_pinout.svg#/media/File:DVI_pinout.svg

Cheers! Thanks a lot for those articles.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 09:47:49 AM »
        And if I may correct you, its not the horizontal bar, but the four squares around the horizontal bar that carry analog.
        Maybe I was testing you...   ::)