Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Linux is still better than Windows.  (Read 76742 times)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Linux is still better than Windows.
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2018, 06:33:54 AM »
Linux is a UNIX-Like System but it is not UNIX. Linus created Linux initially because there was no UNIX or UNIX-Like operating System available on the x86 at the time that he was aware of, so he created a UNIX-Like system.

Basically Linux is to UNIX what MS-DOS is to CP/M. They work very similarly and one was "inspired" by the other but MS-DOS is not CP/M and CP/M is not MS-DOS.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2018, 09:03:32 AM »
Linux and Unix have similarities, but there are many differences too, so i wouldnt say they are equal as in Linux is Unix. BC is spot on in what he said about it.

The Internet could care less of whatever OS your using.

When on the internet your connected as a viewer of the content and sometimes as a client where logon credentials are required for restricted access sites and connections and from there you can request and view information in a search or by providing an exact url path, or upload or download information based on rules set forth by the web servers that host the content.

So what did you try to do that Windows had an issue with that Linux worked fine with?

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2018, 01:44:52 PM »
This thread started on August 16, 2016.
For people doing web hosting and things like that, Linux is the popular choice.
Linux is part of the General Public License concept. Here is a document that outlines some of the principal ideas:
GNU General Public License
It is a rather big document. Below is a link that gives a short version.
https://resources.whitesourcesoftware.com/blog-whitesource/top-10-gpl-license-questions-answered

For many developers, Linux has to be the best choice because it is free and open-source. Most of the Windows code is well guarded and users can not modify it to solves a problem without permission from Microsoft.

This  is perhaps off topic:
Once upon a very, very long time ago, back when I was working in Silicon Valley, we considered using Microsoft BASIC  for a project. We stopped when we learned that they wanted a large sum of money. So we used an source code that was in public domain to create a suitable BASIC interpreter. The was befsore the GPL concept had come on the scene.

Gorden Eu banks** created a CBASIC interpreter that become one of many software things that were then in public domain. We  did use his CBASIC in one project.

** Gorden Eu banks
https://www.computerhope.com/people/gordon_eubanks.htm

Salmon Trout

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2018, 04:01:46 AM »
Linux is Unix

Linux is like Unix. It is not Unix. In fact, GNU/Linux is two recursive acronyms that mean "GNU is Not Unix/Linux is not Unix". You pronounce GNU like the bird ("guhnoo") so it's an acronym not an initialism.

https://www.gnu.org/audio/gnu-pronunciation.ogg

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2018, 06:01:25 PM »
Salmon Trout,
I already gnu that.  :D

I Shooter

Hopeful

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2018, 10:26:44 PM »
    Hi all. I have a computer that has xp on one drive and Linux Mint on the second drive. I have a switch to go from one to the other when I boot. The reason being is Linux will not run Auto CAD. You have to have Windows for Auto CAD. I can't use XP on the net because it isn't supported any more so I use Linux on the net.

I like Linux for on the web and the office program they have is good enough for what I do. Though when I was working I had to have Windows office for some of the people I worked for. I didn't understand that. Then I had Windows office so it didn't matter to me. I think some people just don't like things they haven't used before. They have always used Windows and see no reason to switch.

Most offices I have been around don't switch computers till it is no longer supported. Or the need arises for a new program and they have to up grade.

If you think about it what can a new computer for the average person do that a old one can't do.

I have a lap top that has ME on it and I have Auto CAD 2000 on it. If it was still supported I could use it on the net. For me, that would be great. I know that the gamers are saying are you nuts. There is no way you could play the new games on a old computer. I am not a gamer. I do play some games but they can be played on most computers. They are older games.

If it wasn't for CAD I would be great with just Linux.

You all have a great day.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #21 on: May 18, 2018, 12:34:17 AM »
    I Shooter,
    Thanks you for your post.
    This thread is going on almost two years.
    The topic is still an active subject on other forums and sites.

Here is a very recent item:
    Linux vs Windows 10
    By Thomas Macaulay | Apr 06, 2018
    Windows 10 may dominate the operating system market overall, but among many companies and programmers, Linux reigns supreme.
    Linux provides the foundation for a variety of operating systems. The Linux kernel is an open source core anyone can use to build their own operating systems - known as distributions, or 'distros' - as Google has done with Chrome OS and Android.
    Each operating system has specific strengths and reasons that make them better suited to the needs of different users. We weigh up the pros and cons of Windows 10 and Linux to help you choose which one is best for you and your organisation.

For the full article, follow  this link:
    https://www.techworld.com/picture-gallery/developers/linux-vs-windows-10-3670807/