Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Changing files into .bin files  (Read 4702 times)

Kiwi11

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    Changing files into .bin files
    « on: August 19, 2016, 07:30:30 AM »
    Hello,
    I'm trying to build a custom map in a game called Empire Earth, the map features a part of the real world and I want to make the map is realistic as possible. I've found a site through other forum posts that let's me select a grid of the map and it will than give me info (amount of columns/rows etc). This link however dates back from 2004, and since than the map where you select a grid has changed, the main point is that you used to be able to download the required info in a .bin file which than later you were able to change to .dat (.dat is needed) by simply typing in a different extension. However now I only seem to be able to download the file I need in .tif, .asc (ascII), .grd or .nc. My question is:
    Is there any way to change the .tif, .asc, .grd or .nc into a .bin or .dat file? I'm really noob at this, so I don't know which exact info I need that should be in the .bin or .dat files, I just know I need the .bin or .dat file of the particular grid of the map I want. I really need some help here, thank you in advance :).

The site with the map I use to select a particular part of the map is this: http://maps.ngdc.noaa.gov/viewers/wcs-client/
    (If there are other sites like this that give me the option to do the same but than let me download the info I need in .bin or .dat that is fine too)
    Regards,
    Kiwi

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Changing files into .bin files
    « Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 09:45:45 AM »
    Id try a converter to make a binary file from an ascii file and save it as a .bin file and see if that helps. However no guarantee it will work.

http://www.rapidtables.com/convert/number/ascii-to-binary.htm

Kiwi11

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 02:06:08 AM »
      Thank you, I'll try that. As I said I'm pretty noob at this, can you walk me through how exactly I do this? It asks me to input ascII text input does that simply mean I have to input the file's name? and what exactly is a delimiter string, and waht do I have to input there? Thank you :)

Regards,
      Kiwi

Kiwi11

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 02:44:55 AM »
        Okay, I've figured out I had to open the ascII file in a text document, copy and apste everything in there in the coverter. So I tried that, it crashed several times before I was able to do so, simply because there's an enourmous amount of numbers in that file. When I managed to paste all numbers in there, I found out, the text bar where you can paste teh files info is to small to fit all the nubmers of the file I'm trying to convert, it fits in about half of all the nubmers needed. Any ideas what to do now?
        Thank you,

Dear regards,
        Kiwi

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 05:37:11 AM »
        Seems as though due to likely a clipboard maximum character limit within the program that you would need to have a program that read in the ASCII and writes it to file as a Binary file then that doesnt have this limitation. I havent tested this program out, but here is another that might solve this for you.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/ttbconvert/

Kiwi11

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 06:42:43 AM »
          Ok, thank you I'll try this

Dear regards,
          Kiwi

Kiwi11

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 06:46:46 AM »
            Ok, I'm not 100% sure this will be a safe download, since there are several reports on severals sites saying that the download site you gave me also puts junkware/malware allong with their downloads. Is there any other program that would be safer?

DaveLembke

Sage
            « Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016, 09:20:29 AM »
            Other than writing your own to do it, your stuck with hunting for one that will do it for you. I'm unable to test whether download is safe or not from where I am at... so its best to find one, download it, scan it for malware and virus and if clean and its one that has an installer associated with it to be careful when installing it to not just click next but read all prompts to uncheck unwanted bundleware etc. And then run malwarebytes and a virus scan after just to be sure nothing flew in under the radar.

Kiwi11

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2016, 09:59:45 AM »
              Ok, thank you, I will do that. Thanks for your help so far.

Regards, Kiwi