Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: missing/out of date driver updates  (Read 4782 times)

BellaUSA

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
    missing/out of date driver updates
    « on: September 04, 2016, 03:06:03 PM »
    I have free AVG & got the message that i have missing/out of date drivers . are all these free to download ? And what about something called Google Analytics opt-out browser add-ons ? Never heard of it before. should I add this add-on ?
    Thank you !

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: missing/out of date driver updates
    « Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 03:12:07 PM »
    1) There is essentially no such thing as an out of date driver. If everything is working fine, leave well enough alone. To find out if you are MISSING any drivers, open device manager. If there are no yellow or red symbols you're fine. Drivers should only be updated if there is a specific reason or need to do so.

2) Decide for yourself: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout

BellaUSA

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 02:41:06 PM »
      If no such thing as an 'out of date/missing driver', why the message about it ? I checked device manager, saw no red/yellow symbols. And what is that Google Anayiltics opt-out browser ? What's going on here ?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 03:52:23 PM »
      If no such thing as an 'out of date/missing driver', why the message about it ?

Software can provide alerts and messages about anything it wants to. For whatever reason AVG (it seems) decided it would be a good idea to exploit people's lack of technical knowledge and trust of their software to try to market other components they sell. It cannot be a coincidence that AVG also provides useless "Driver Updater" software.

If there are no symbols in Device Manager, then you are not missing drivers; And as drivers do not have a best before date, they cannot go out of date, either.

And what is that Google Anayiltics opt-out browser ?

If you want to opt out of Google Analytics Tracking, you install the browser add-on.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.