Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: IE6 takes a long time to download a page  (Read 3678 times)

Irv Stein

IE6 takes a long time to download a page
« on: November 29, 2005, 04:25:19 PM »
My computer contains: Athlon 3200gb, 1 gig Ram, I have WinXP SP2 Home, and IE 6 SP1. I have a cable ISP and the download speeds (which just tested)vary from 2500 kbps to 3000kbps.

When I click on a link in my OE e-mail, I am immediately taken to the web-site. When on a web-site, and I click on a link within the site, it takes "forever" to download the page....I watch the green progress bar, not much happens. It says "done", but I still have to wait a long time for the page to download. I click the F5 key to refresh and still it takes a long time for the page to download.

I've checked for malware (AdAware, SpyBot, MS anti spyware, and CCleaner......no malware), I ran a system scan for viruses (AVG and then TrendMicro Housecall....no viruses), I cleaned out cache, Temp files and cookies. I ran Repair Registry Pro and it didn't help either.
I also ran Start>Run: typed in: sfc /scannow with my original Win XP CD and this didn't help. I also did "IE Fix".... didn't help either.

This problem occurs with e-mails from PCMag.com; Lockergnome.com; AllExperts.com, etc. A link within one of these e-mails when I click on the link takes a very long time to download.
I would hate to format/reinstall. I don't know whether that would solve my problem, and I'm not sure how to put the backed up data back where it belongs. (I did a backup using MS One Care).
I sure hope that U can help me with this problem

pcwizard

Hopeful

• A computer is for life, not just gaming!!
    Re: IE6 takes a long time to download a page
    « Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 01:17:35 PM »
    Have you tried checking to see what services you have running?

Over a time when your firewall asks you if you want to allow a connection and you permanently allow them they will then use your bandwidth whenever you do.

I tend to manually allow each one as they ask and never save the choice. It can be a bit of a pain but at least you know they aren't trying to update themselves constantly in the background.

Check your firewall and change any 'unnecessary' connections to ask again next time.
    A computer is for life....not just gaming!!

Irving

Re: IE6 takes a long time to download a page
    « Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 10:37:32 AM »
    Thanks for prompt reply (BTW, how do I set to get an e-mail when a reply is posted to my question?)

How do I see what services you have running? and which services are not required to be running?

I don't use Zone Alarm. I use MS anti-spyware.
    There are 3 items: System agents (25 of 25 checkpoint monitored an no activity); Application agents (25 of 25 checkpoints monitored and it shows 2 blocked events); and Internet agents( 9 0f 9 checkpoints monitored and no activity).
    Is MS anti-spyware as good as Zone Alarm. I had been advised when I got Win XP that I don't need Zone Alarm and shouldn't install it.