Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How do I stop Windows 10 update  (Read 5800 times)

02bin3

How do I stop Windows 10 update
« on: October 12, 2016, 02:29:16 PM »
I have a Lenovo Laptop with Windows 10, and I am on a very, very slow Hughesnet connection.  (12kbs not kidding)  The problem is, when Windows 10 decides to update it takes forever and I can't do anything else with my computer while it is downloading.  It has been stuck at 47% download for the last 6 hours, and I can't find a way to cancel it out.  It look 5 minutes for my aol email account to load up.  Is there a way to cancel the download and time it for later in the evening?  Thanks ???

Lorraine walsh

Intermediate

• A techie by nature!
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: How do I stop Windows 10 update
    « Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 01:20:15 AM »
    Isn't there any option related to Cancel Download or you can just restart the system?

ajax

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 03:39:58 AM »
      Well, I don't think there is a way. unlike the previous versions of windows, windows 10 doesn't give user to cancel updates or select which updates should be installed. The only solution to reverting back to previous versions of windows or you can wait it out (leave your PC on overnight).  :) Hope I could help.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru

02bin3

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 12:20:08 PM »
      I had left it on 'til late last night, however, when I turned it on this morning it was still at 47%, then in no time it said it had downloaded the update and was ready for a restart, which is what I did, and it seems to be running a little quicker.  I did go in and change the update times to between 8:00PM and 2:00PM, when I normally do not use the computer. 

I did check out the hyperlink provided by Allan, and unfortunately, at this location, I have to use Ethernet and for the Windows 10 Home version you couldn't tweak it as can be done for the other Win 10 versions.  If I had Win 10 Pro or better I could have done it for either WiFi or Ethernet.

Thank you all for your input.  It is very much appreciated.