Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: backing up and imaging older machines and Operating systems  (Read 44145 times)

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: backing up and imaging older machines and Operating systems
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2016, 01:08:21 AM »
I disagree. I don't think LBA could be an issue here; LBA support is part of the original IDE specification (and later, ATA-1).

One would have to go back to ESDI or ST-506 interfaces to find drives which did not provide LBA support. I do not think a 10GB drive that has Windows 95 on it is likely to be either an ESDI or an ST-506 'winchester' drive.

I think the formatting issue you mentioned is unrelated to CHS addressing, but the result of older Hard Drives (we're talking the original drives for the 5150 and 5160) using Stepper Motors to control the read/write head, which meant that the stepper motor degrading or even the drive being at a different temperature could cause disk read failures.

Alternatively, I suppose later drives could become unreadable if the incorrect parameters were put into a BIOS that required Hard drive parameters to be entered manually- they could also seemingly work if the drive was formatted with those incorrect parameters (but it would degrade over time) However, that was a BIOS limitation- not a drive one. I had a 42 MB Western Digital IDE drive from 1987 which was auto-detected without issue on more modern systems, despite the system it was original in requiring me to enter the drive parameters into the CMOS setup manually.

So sorry about the late reply. Ive no Clue what all these interfaces are haha. I DID however manage to get a copy of Acornis. It better be worth the $$ cause holy *censored*.

BrianS

Starter

• Experience: Guru
    Re: backing up and imaging older machines and Operating systems
    « Reply #16 on: October 17, 2016, 12:24:12 PM »
    The IDE to USB adapter as mentioned in a prior post is what I use.  "RANDOM Ebay example"- but I have this model.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-to-SATA-IDE-2-5-3-5-5-25-Hard-Drive-CD-DVD-Drive-Adapter-MK-U29-/390844134143?hash=item5b002032ff:g:Mz0AAOSwe7BWznRf

Pull the drive from the computer, put in the adapter, use the supplied power adapter- your modern computer accepts it as a USB drive. Use modern software to copy it do DVD or a Thumb drive. It works- I just used it for a 10GByte 2.5" drive; it also works with full size IDE and SATA drives.
    "Other" is DOS and PharLap DOS, for embedded systems.