Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Paladins: Champions of the Realms  (Read 6512 times)

nat0rade

Topic Starter

Starter
  • Figgs
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Paladins: Champions of the Realms
« on: October 28, 2016, 08:09:48 PM »
New to this forum. I'm sure there is a dated thread on this, as I searched and found such, but what are this forum's opinions on Paladins: Champions of the Realms VS Overwatch? I know Paladins has more of a MOBA feel to it, whereas in Overwatch classes tend to dictate the gameplay more, as there are certain situations suitable for certain classes depending on the type of game you are playing, the map,etc.

I have about 75 hours on OW, and I only downloaded Paladins about a week ago, not even, six days. However, I find myself more intrigued with Paladins, playing it MUCH more frequently, and for longer periods of time than when I first bought OW, and I think I'm going to stick with it as far as Hero/XP Based FPS games are around.

Again, thoughts on both games, and why you are partial to one or the other?

Please, don't let this turn into a giant thread about who ripped who's idea....
How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Paladins: Champions of the Realms
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 12:48:27 AM »
Please, don't let this turn into a giant thread about who ripped who's idea....

I don't think you have to be concerned about that, Video games are rarely a topic that attracts much attention here, which is actually pretty nice.

As for myself, after Quake II, the only game that I played online with any frequency was Minecraft, but that was back before running a Minecraft Server was big business and you could make a living off "donations" by being an unscrupulous, greedy jerk. It's one thing to aim to have the server pay for it's VPS. It's quite another to aim to use that as a revenue stream for payroll.

Anyway, point is, I've heard of Overwatch, and even heard that there was a similar game out and seen Internet arguments about it. Being that neither title interests me in the least, I've not been fussed to care about either.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 01:14:26 AM »
Please, don't let this turn into a giant thread
I think you can stop worrying about that...

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 08:07:06 AM »
Had to look the game up never heard of it til now ...

Paladins: Champions of the Realm is a free-to-play team-based multiplayer first-person shooter video game released in September 2016 as an early access product by Hi-Rez Studios. Within a week of its release on Steam, the game had attracted 800,000 downloads according to Steam Spy and was one of the top 10 most popular games by concurrent users on the service.[1]

Each player controls a hero character with differing abilities, and they are split into two teams who compete to achieve objectives. In response to accusations that the game is an Overwatch clone, Hi-Rez COO Todd Harris said that "[Overwatch] was not the inspiration for Paladins", and "the game that deserves the most credit is Team Fortress 2".[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paladins_(video_game)

My list of FPS games started with Wolfenstein 3D on a floppy disk from a friend on a 386 to run on my 286. Then Quake and Quake 2 on a Pentium CPU system years ago, tried Quake Arena in college in the late 1990s and didnt get into it then Unreal Tournament 99 GOTY Edition for many years https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreal_Tournament   , Counterstrike while also playing UT99 in between, then 2005 and got pulled into MMORPG with World of Warcraft for most of my time and little time with FPS still playing UT99 stopped playing CS when there were so many cheaters playing and walking in the air and instant headshots and the jump spam macros to avoid targeting them by players not using cheats as well as instant aim headshot cheats not requiring aim. Then played Warsow  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warsow_(video_game)  for a while which was free, but liked UT99 better especially when able to download free maps and host my own UT99 server on a Pentium 3 to play with friends and strangers online, and then looked for a new FPS and found Alien Arena https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CodeRED:_Alien_Arena   which was fun until I found out that the AI script cheats in the game. The AI in Alien Arena is able to see through objects and walls so if you hide around a corner waiting to snipe an AI, the minute it enters the room it turns and shoots you, so line of sight to the AI is 360 degrees with player detection vs only what is in front of it facing in which I should be undetected and able to snipe it unless it looks my way and detects me. I contacted those who do the dev work for Alien Arena and told them about how the AI's cheat. The answer I got was that its best played with real players vs the AI. I was hoping to play against AI's to get my game experience up so that I wouldnt enter a multiplayer arena as a complete noob. Stopped playing it, but now that I mention it I might redownload it  and see if they corrected for AI that cheats. I then played Bloodrayne  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BloodRayne  which was a Vampire hack n slash type of game and I had a lot of fun with that, but single player mode got kind of boring. I then got Doom 3 and Quake 4 but soon found myself using the GOD Mode Cheats because I was getting frustrated with the normal play being difficult to the point that without God Mode I wasnt satisfied with it, however this God Mode soon lost its luster as for what point is there in a game you cant die in and just shoot and kill everything with unlimited ammo and invincibility. Then got into Return to Castle Wolfenstein Platinum Edition https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_to_Castle_Wolfenstein which was a lot of fun and I avoided the cheats for the longest time but soon found myself hitting the tilde key and cheating to get past areas and enabling god mode because it was fun blowing the enemy away with a choice of weapons. I then got into Team Fortress a little bit, but found that the FPS games were starting to get stressful to play. Heart Racing and Adrenalin pumping and yelling curses etc ... my wife was starting to complain that I was getting way to into my games and annoying. Luckily i wasnt the type to throw the keyboard in rage or anything like that, but the FPS games I was getting carried away with and the stress wasnt good. Took the games way to serious, so I left FPS games and went to playing more MMORPG and Dungeon Crawler games that are more calm with only occasional vocal outbursts while playing. Most of which are much cleaner. Although playing as a Rogue in PvP on World of Warcraft, I started getting way too into that with assassinating players in a capture the flag type of game play and when people would camp the graveyard to gank you as you come back into the PvP play that aggravated me and I finally left PvP. Although I did have a PvP Realm that I played on as an Alliance Deathknight on Sargeras and everything was perfect there with occasional PvP until Blizzard decided to merge realms because people were leaving world of warcraft because you would be out playing away from the city and it was just about totally dead. No one playing PvE content. The merged realms consolidated players together to make the game look more lively as for the few playing PvE would now cross paths in play vs pass each other like 2 ships in the night isolated on different servers. The biggest problem with this merger of realms was that there were realms unbalanced with more horde than alliance, so the minute they merged sargeras with other realms it was a floodgate opened wide open of the worst ganking of alliance players in PvE areas I had ever seen. People were killing Quest NPC's so you couldnt complete PvE quests, players were camping graveyards for those killed anywhere in the zone to gank them once again as they try to leave the graveyard into the PvE world again, additionally there was a portal from Stormwind to the Dark Portal and the spawn location where you would exit to the Dark Portal zone 20 or 30 horde players would camp above the spawn location and instantly kill those entering for easy Honor Points and to be total ***es. To get through the Dark Portal to outlands they even had people camping that at both sides of it so if your lucky to sneak into it or rush into it at the other end was a gank party ready to kill you. Dungeon entrances also camped so you couldnt get into a dungeon or raid without getting killed. It felt as if the ratio was 15 horde to every 1 alliance player on the PvP merger. I left World of Warcraft playing on PvP realms after that and went to PvE or RP realms where you had to be flagged PvP to get ganked. Getting back to FPS vs the complaint about WoW, there are so many FPS games out there today. Many of them have many similarities to others.

Going to check out this Paladins game when I get home from work since its free to play. Only catch to many of the Free-to-Play games is that many of them are Free-to-Play and Pay-to-Win where they have you paying for objects or benefits that other free players dont get so your more powerful because you paid the developer of the game vs those who dont pay. I understand that they need to make money somehow, but the Pay-to-Win games I run away from very quickly. Games to me are either completely free no strings attached with no unbalanced play or cheating, pay a 1 time fee for the game and balanced play with no cheating, or get game free or buy game and pay a small monthly fee to play but everyone is balanced and no cheating. I dont like the game revenue concept of the person with the deepest pockets to pay out being the most powerful in the game and that is what most of the Pay-to-Win games are!  ::) You get a few thousand people paying and you have a army of Pay-to-Win players ready to mow down the Free-To-Play players.  ::)   So why play a game like this to be a target for a Pay-to-Win player. Playing the game as Free-to-Play is stupid because your just a willing to be killed duck and feeding game design making it successful so a paying player can have the fun of killing a human target vs an AI player.  :-\  Those free to play are being used many without them knowing they are being used as just easy targets against unfair unbalanced opponents. The small reward system in the free to play might hold the interest of the free to play players, throw some feed for the ducks and they will stick around for the paying hunters to blow them away!  ;D

I have gotten into games like Lord of the Rings, Aion, and others that were Pay-to-Win and so for example to have a mount and special gear you had to buy them with real money so those who payed were having fun killing others who didnt pay that were same level or even higher level than the person who Payed-to Win and the gear stats are so much stronger in the person who payed for gear and so they are almost Godlike against free players and only challenged by other Pay-to-Win players.

nat0rade

Topic Starter

Starter
  • Figgs
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 01:05:58 AM »
:)
How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?