Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer runs slow after on for a long time, fine after reboot (repeat)  (Read 4174 times)

scomar

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    My system:
    Windows 10 Pro
    HP Envy 700-215xt
    Processor Intel Core i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz
    Ram 8 GB
    64 Bit operating system
    2 year old desktop tower
    I run Norton Security and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Home (Premium) and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Premium for the last year

My issue:
    About 2 week ago my computer started to run slow when webpages load(I typically leave my computer on 24/7) so I rebooted and it started to run just fine.  Then about 24-36 hours later I noticed it running slow again when loading webpages.  By running slow I mean, the mouse would freeze up as I would try to move it while the page was loading, once the page loads the mouse moves around freely.  I do not notice the mouse freeze while loading large computer programs such as full version of Photoshop or Power Director.  It only seams to happen when loading webpages.  This holds true no matter if I use Chrome, Firefox or Edge.  So it has consistently started running slow after being on for 24 to 48 hours.  It seems to get worse the longer it is on, but always runs fine after a reboot.  It also seems that the webpages load faster after a reboot compare to before the reboot when my mouse freezes

What I have tried:
    Ran anti-virus scans with Norton, Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware Free version and no viruses were found
    Updated mouse drivers
    Move my wireless mouse dongle to another usb port and replaced batteries in mouse
    Task manager shows my memory running at 50% to 65%.  I have reduced the number of startup programs and got the memory down to 40% but still have the same issue
    Ran CHKDSK which showed no issues
    Ran a memory check which showed no issues

Any help with this matter would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks

Scomar

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Computer runs slow after on for a long time, fine after reboot (repeat)
    « Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 06:07:43 PM »
    Have you checked your connection speeds ? ?...i use speedtest.net.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

scomar

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 02:08:26 PM »
      Turns out it was my Norton Security software.  Must have had issues with a recently installed Win 10 update.  I uninstalled it and am using Windows Defender plus Malwarebytes.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 03:05:43 PM »
      Norton would slow a boulder standing still...

Glad you found the issue...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "