Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: linux machine randomly freezes  (Read 8224 times)

aokis

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• The dreamer who dreams..
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
linux machine randomly freezes
« on: December 12, 2016, 02:04:48 PM »
Hi,
linux dell laptop hard freezes randomly + on video makes sound loop. Works only power button if I press it more than 10 seconds.
What did I tried:
-changed linux distro
-changed old hdd with new
-tried changing ram
-computer is fully cleaned
-replaced cooling fan(wasn't working)
and no difference.. :'( I think it could be graphics drivers failing or new with cpu(upgraded from 1.6ghz to 2.2ghz) also my laptop is quite old. Operating system currently is ubuntu before was linux mint cinnamon. System specs is 2gb of ram integreted graphics 2x2.2ghz cpu. I did find someone with similiar problem, but didn't find any soliution. Please post any info, Thank you.

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: linux machine randomly freezes
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 03:46:48 PM »
Might be a main board issue. You noted cooling fan failed maybe it has thermal damage or a capacitor issue. The CPU upgrade to 2.2Ghz from 1.6Ghz you could be running hotter than the TDP of the laptops design and so it could be running hot on you and then locking up when its roasting. Are you able to check CPU/GPU temps and are they ok or is it roasting above 70C

aokis

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Yes
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 01:41:45 PM »
Yea that's looks like the case the cpu temperature is between 49C and 92C most on 78C-86C, acpitz temperature is between 49C to 95C usually about 74C, no more temperatures I could get, but one part of motherboard is really hot when touched with hand. Well, the problem probably is high temperature. How could I fix that? change heatsink or this it's unfixable? ???
Thank you for helping me out DaveLembke

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 09:11:00 AM »
Well the faster clock CPU will run warmer. You might be exceeding the thermal limitations of that heatsink. If you can swap back to the slower clock 1.6Ghz CPU you can see if it will then run cool. If it runs cool with the 1.6Ghz then the heatsink isnt keeping up with the 2.2Ghz CPU. Or you can buy a new heatsink and try to see if that will fix it, but you will probably have to switch back to that 1.6Ghz CPU as for many laptops dont take too well to faster/hotter CPU upgrades. Just because the main board will run it doesnt mean that the laptop can stay cool.

aokis

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Yes
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 11:58:50 AM »
--DaveLembke--
yeah the problem was in new cpu. But not gonna give up!
 Gonna replace laptop heatsink with desktops the laptop is desktop anyway...
thanks for all your help!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 01:52:35 PM »
You said:
... new with cpu(upgraded from 1.6ghz to 2.2ghz) also
Have you tried the old CPU?
It may be the motherboard is not compatible with the new CPU. It may be worth you time to find out if it really is the new CPU that made the difference. Why guess?

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 08:27:49 PM »
--DaveLembke--
yeah the problem was in new cpu. But not gonna give up!
 Gonna replace laptop heatsink with desktops the laptop is desktop anyway...
thanks for all your help!

Well in that case... if its a laptop acting as a desktop, you can do like I did with my Core i5 laptop. I added a massive Pentium 4 heatsink to it as seen here: http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,158282.0.html

This Core i5 was shutting down going above 85C because the heatpipes must have sprung a leak. CPU fan on full speed and heat pumps out the side of it but it was roasting with heatsink unable to keep up with it. I removed old thermal compound and applied new and it didnt help. So for a free fix, and no need to have this as a laptop, I added this Pentium 4 heatsink that came off of a hot blooded Pentium 4 HT processor from a Dell Dimenson E310. Temps now are acceptable with the desktop heatsink.  Heatsink has a drop of arctic silver between clean bottom of heatsink and top of the heatpipes which are flat. This draws heat away really well. Its passively cooled but if I ever needed to, I could wire up a 5 volt fan to run off of the USB to blow air through it. ;D

I have 2 of these laptops both with the same problem. Both IBM Thinkpads that i got for free because they overheat and shutdown. When i get another heatsink I will pop the keyboard off to the side and so the same to the other Thinkpad and have 2 Core i5 2.4Ghz number crunchers for my BOINC team.

aokis

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Yes
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 02:26:09 PM »
cool I already did the 5 volt usb fan(tried get 10 volt from 2 usb, but failed) with smaller heatsink than yours :), and get the cpu temperature to 35C and laptop worked perfectly only having small issue he freezed again after 5 minutes XD. And just got desktop so I never checked the hard drive drive connection so on running pc pulled  off ssd's sata and guess what exaclty same thing repeatable sound and screen freezes I'm so stupid why couldn't I figure out such simple thing... Then I get the sata=>usb going to try it(now, when I tried everything I'm almost certain). Sorry for english.
Thanks again for reply.

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 11:46:39 AM »
(tried get 10 volt from 2 usb, but failed)

To do this its not as easy as taking 2 USB port power connections and connecting them in series to try to get 10 volts, doing so would create a short circuit to the 5 VDC USB. There are chips and circuits out there that can double or raise voltages, but you cant take 5 volts from the same source and connect wires alone in series and increase the voltage.

I bought for example mainly out of curiosity a USB device charger that runs on 2 x AA batteries. I was like 2 x AA batteries is only 3 Volts... how is the output 5 volts... well I opened it up and took my oscilloscope to it and probed around and sure enough a single chip on a small PCB takes a 3 VDC input and outputs a 5VDC output. I used oscilloscope because to get the 5 VDC output I thought it might be a PWM output vs a constant 5VDC output in which 5 Volts is pulsed to the USB device to be charged. I didnt want to be pulsing my phone for example as well as I wanted to make sure that the output was in fact just 5 volts and not 6 to smoke the charging circuit of the phone etc, since only paying $1 for this device, quality can be very sketchy. But it was actually pretty well made for what it is. It has a clean 5 VDC output, but at the cost of AA batteries, its cheaper to just use a USB cable to an actual 5VDC USB wall adapter or connect phone to a desktop PC to charge from. Out of curiosity I put 2 brand new AA Alkaline batteries into it and ran my phone completely dead to get a full deep charge. The 2 x AA batteries were able to charge my phone from 0% to 78% and then the 2 x AA batteries were spent. the 2 x AA Alkaline batteries were at a cost of $1.25 and didnt even get a full charge.

Upon further testing of this cheap 5VDC USB charger I also discovered that even with nothing being charged at the other end the chip that takes 3VDC and generates 5VDC is always running with batteries in it. So if engineered properly it should have had a power switch added to it to turn it on and off to avoid draining out good batteries when not in use. To avoid drain you need to keep one of the 2 batteries out of it.

Other thing is that the 2 x AA batteries got very warm as it was charging the phone. This is because it has to pull more current at 3 VDC to make the 5 VDC and satisfy the current draw at 5 VDC, so the Alkaline batteries were in a heavy drain when in use to charge the phone.

If there was no electricity, I suppose someone could use this to charge a phone, but its very costly to use it was a phone charger. Perhaps with rechargeable batteries you could use it and go that route, but there are better devices out there like Pocket Juice that I bought that is a lithium battery pack and at a cost of just $8 that can charge without wasting money.

Now getting back to your issues
got desktop so I never checked the hard drive drive connection so on running pc pulled  off ssd's sata and guess what exaclty same thing repeatable sound and screen freezes I'm so stupid why couldn't I figure out such simple thing... Then I get the sata=>usb going to try it(now, when I tried everything I'm almost certain). Sorry for english.

This desktop pulling off the SATA cable from the SSD,,, was this done while the computer was powered and running? What was the purpose to pull the SATA cable from this drive?  I am guessing that maybe the language barrier might be why this doesnt make much sense right now, but with clarification I might be able to help you better with this.

aokis

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Yes
Re: linux machine randomly freeze
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2016, 03:55:57 PM »
  Wow that's a pretty cool project, love it!
Maybe going to try something similar. Thinking about making a generator from old motor( opening it and puting neodinium magnets on top then puting back atleast something like that). Or maybe could find some old car generator creating some vertical wind power plant, but I don't this will work on a car generator. And if you could give me any advice that would help :), can't find much info about it..

Back to laptop problem I'm pretty confident(tried unpluging sata from desktop and the results are identical-looping sound, image remaining, possibility to turn off pc after pressing power button for more than 10 sec.) that the problem is in sata conection. Soon I will get usb to sata port there I could put my ssd and test my theory..

Also did you tried any arduino projects
 and if you in programming what language do you use?

Thanks for replying really appreciate it.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 04:15:02 PM by aokis »