Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP 64-bit won't recognize SATA HD  (Read 5339 times)

Nick Strenk

Windows XP 64-bit won't recognize SATA HD
« on: March 25, 2004, 01:00:55 PM »
I just built a new system from the ground up and I bought a seagate 160 GB 7200 rpm serial ATA hard drive. I went to install Windows XP 64-bit edition (because I am running a 64-bit platform) and of course the windows setup did not detect my hard drive by its'self...so i pressed F6 to install the drivers and I used the drivers that came with the CD, however it doesn't work with those drivers it would give me an error message saying a file was corrupt. So I tried the drivers from my motherboard manufacturer, those didn't work either...Long story short I've tried just about every driver i could find and none of them work. So I thought it might be the OS (considering that windows xp 64-bit is still beta) so i tried a copy of windows 2000...and it would recognize the drivers however it would not install them...I am now at a loss as of what to do next...should i get a standard IDE hard drive...should I return this drive...If anyone could help me with this issue I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you so much for your time. -Nick

Ed B.

Re: Windows XP 64-bit won't recognize SATA HD
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2004, 06:07:47 PM »
ive said it somewhere else...
Jumpers. lol
They make and break a computer (so to say)

Check the jumpers, that could possible be the problem...

But first, does the computer even recognize the HD under your BIOS?

If not, check connections and jumpers.

Bien Suerte![good luck]
(I had too much spanish at school today!)
Ed

Nick

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2004, 02:30:12 PM »
Yes it recognizes my hard drive in bios, however I don't think serial ATA drives have jumpers...

Ed B.

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2004, 04:56:48 PM »
oh sry, i read too fast, lol
No jumpers on serial!
Heh...
OOps.....

Umm..
*casually slips out of sight*