Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My computer won't acknowledge the DVD drive  (Read 5316 times)

Madeleined98

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    My computer won't acknowledge the DVD drive
    « on: November 30, 2016, 10:00:08 PM »
    I have an HP ENVY x360 that uses Windows 10 64-bit.  For the last three months I've used an external DVD drive and the DVD Player app to watch movies without any difficulty.  However, when I inserted a DVD earlier today, the little message asking me what I want to do didn't pop up.  The DVD spun for a minute and then stopped.  When I pulled up DVD Player, it acted like I hadn't inserted the DVD.  File Explorer doesn't acknowledge the DVD drive.  What should I do?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: My computer won't acknowledge the DVD drive
    « Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 10:20:20 PM »
    Did you try a different disc. Some are protected from piracy and dont play on computers.

Madeleined98

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 11:44:39 PM »
      I did, but the computer didn't recognize that one either.  Anyway, the first disc worked yesterday, so I don't think that's the case.

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 08:49:48 AM »
      You can try a drive cleaning disc. It spins up and cleans the eye inside that reads the reflected laser beam off the disc. You can also try the drive on a different system to make sure its the drive and not a driver issue with the system connecting to it since its an external drive. The good thing is that external USB drives are pretty cheap these days, around $20 if you had to replace it.