Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Learning to build a pc  (Read 3218 times)

Linon

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Learning to build a pc
    « on: December 09, 2016, 08:08:57 AM »
    I have bean trying to learn how to build a pc on my own but I have gotten to the point where I will not improve without someone to show me the ins and outs of a pc.

send me a message if you are willing to help me.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Learning to build a pc
    « Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 08:52:43 AM »
    Lots of youtube videos showing how to build a computer.

If you have a computer you need to build and get stuck, then share a picture or description of where your stuck and we will assist with telling you what you need to do next and verifying its all built right. People who want to build for first time that are nervous I have even given then an older computer that I dont care about, show them the computer working state, then I have them carefully disassemble the computer down to bare motherboard all cards, ram, cables, and CPU removed. All parts removed from case, and then have them go through putting it back together again. If it works in the end then they feel so much better about going about building their new computer, if it doesnt work then troubleshoot what is wrong. Sometimes its just a simple 12V molex connection that was missed for the motherboard from power supply, other times its a front panel connection mix up in which the soft power switch is connected to the wrong pins or not connected. If you have an old computer available to tinker with that works, and its not critical if it gets broken, then I would suggest this route. However if you want to just jump right ahead to building a system without tinkering first then we can assist with that too.

I learned how to work on computers because back when i first started playing with computers in the 1980s they were very expensive and so my computers were made of other dead computers where I salvaged good parts from dead systems to make the best of the best out of whatever i could get for free or inexpensively. I made mistakes that killed hardware and learned from them. These days I can have a computer built from a box of parts into a working computer in under a half hour. The installation of the OS took longer than installing all components in the case and connecting it all.

Lastly spacial relations are important, such as a MicroATX case may or may not take a large long video card. I had to modify a mATX case in order to fit my Geforce GTX 260 for example because the card was so long that it intruded on the space where the hard drive caddy was. I ended up cutting out part of the hard drive caddy so that the video card would fit. The caddy allowed for up to 3 hard drives to be installed and I only needed the installation of one hard drive, so I took a dremmel and cut out 2 hard drive bays of the caddy with all parts removed from the case then used pressurized air to remove the metal dust and frags and then lastly took a magnet to the case as a double check to make sure that i got all the metal pieces in which the strong hard drive magnet that I salvaged from a dead hard drive found 3 filings that the compressed air didnt remove. Then reassemble the computer and it all worked.

If your building a gaming rig with a high end video card then i suggest a full size tower case, additionally the exra space will make installation easier with more room to work with. Sometimes you will find that the CPU heatsink is in the way of installing hard drives etc, so I always suggest installing the hard drives or SSD's in the case first.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Learning to build a pc
    « Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 08:59:07 AM »
    Many communities have a PC Users Club that meet every month or 2 weeks...
    Find one in your area and join.

There's only so much you can learn from Forums and/or videos...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "