Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Pentium 4 - 2.4Ghz 1GB RAM - Whats best modern Linux 32-bit OS for this  (Read 11730 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Friend of mine who is still chugging along with his trusty Pentium 4 has been running an out of date Linux Mint 9 LTS since 9 LTS was available. He asked me if there was a good performing modern 32-bit version that he should upgrade to. I told him that Linux Mint 18 XFCE might be the best option but that I would check here to see if there is a better alternative.

His hardware specs:

Dell Tower
Pentium 4 - 2.4 Ghz socket 478 single-core
Intel 845GL Graphics 64MB ( shared memory with RAM ) ( 1024x768 res )
1GB DDR 266Mhz RAM ( 2 x 512MB )
80GB IDE HDD
DVD-RW Drive

His computer use:

He surfs the web with Firefox, e-mail, buying stuff online which some sites complain that his browser is out of date now, plays some very lightweight flash games, listens to music with it, and uses Open Office.

His concerns with continuing to use Linux Mint 9 LTS is that its out of date and he wants to be secure with security updates. He wants it to be secure and also the best performance he can get from his old computer. I tried to talk him into buying a refurb computer for like $80 that is a Core 2 Duo and Windows 7 and so much better than the Pentium 4, but he really likes his old computer and doesnt want to replace it. I told him that sticking it out with that Pentium 4, he is sort of driving a Model T ford on the internet Autobahn with people passing him like he is standing still. Wouldn't you want a faster car?  ;D He jokingly said its not how fast you get to the destination its the trip. I joked and said well I guess you like waiting for pages to load then. He has a DSL internet connection for internet which is quite fast with a modern computer but a page that loads fast on my laptop takes like 3 to 10 seconds on his Pentium 4 depending on the complexity of the website to view.

So is Linux Mint 18 XFCE 32-bit the OS to refer him to or something else?  :)

Rustys

Intermediate

• Escaped Mental Patient
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Pentium 4 - 2.4Ghz 1GB RAM - Whats best modern Linux 32-bit OS for this
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 12:27:19 PM »
They can always try it using the Live version to see and make sure everything works properly?

If not Version 18 then he could always try 17.2 or 17.3.
"Confucius could give answer to that... unfortunately Confucius not here at moment."

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 01:42:38 PM »
Any 32-bit distro should be fine. It's hard to know all the distinct fiobles of compatibility,  so they'd want to boot up and poke about with a Live CD/DVD anyway. I don't even see a major problem sticking with Mint 9. The only caveat for doing so is that he'll want to manually upgrade programs like Firefox.

He has a DSL internet connection for internet which is quite fast with a modern computer but a page that loads fast on my laptop takes like 3 to 10 seconds on his Pentium 4 depending on the complexity of the website to view.

I have a similarly configured Pentium 4 system, but with 2GB of RAM and WinXP. I've browsed the web with it and the only issue was sites that had too many interactive elements. Sites like for example this forum tended to feel identical to how they do on my primary system. (Heck I have a PowerMac G5 of the same age and it seems to stack up to my current systems even when it comes to Photoshop!)
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 03:52:52 PM »
Here is a list for recent Mint releases.
https://www.linuxmint.com/download_all.php
Screen shot below...

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

booxm

Rookie

• Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 04:19:31 AM »
I would definitely go with a minimal Ubuntu installation, and from there install only the necessary applications.
The greatest difference isn't in the distro choice, but in the Desktop Environment choice. Basic Ubuntu + LXDE or XFCE should do it. If he really feels hardcore, OpenBox is an amazing choice for performances and shouldn't be too much of a limitation for the uses you described.

booxm

Rookie

• Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 09:21:22 AM »
BTW, it's a bit out topic, but a couple of days ago I was playing with media servers.... I had a very old computer, too old even for browsing with Chromium and 4-5 tabs open, so I was about to throw it away but... in the end I installed Openelec on it, and man, this computer is so useful now!

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 01:23:06 PM »
Thanks for sharing this.. And I didnt know that its cased on XBMC. I used XBMC years ago for a HTPC back then it was a dual boot Linux/Windows XP system so I could use it for HTPC as well as boot to Windows and have ability to play World of Warcraft on it thru the 32 inch flatscreen tv. It was just a Pentium 4 2.8Ghz HT with 1GB DDR400 RAM and 160GB HDD. Used a wireless keyboard and mouse from comfort of across room and it worked out well, although I had to take a clip board and add velco to bottom of it for a mouse pad that would stay in place on the arm of the chair.

Going to check out this OpenElec to see how it is. Thanks for sharing.  8)