Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer restarts right before windows loading screen  (Read 17924 times)

jainwu

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Computer restarts right before windows loading screen
    « on: August 11, 2012, 03:43:08 PM »
    Hello,

I am having trouble loading my computer, it resets every single time before it reaches the windows logo loading screen.
    I am using windows 7. I can get into the BIOS but I can't get in to the safe mode screen. It freezes at a blank screen with a flashing "_" when I try to get into the safe mode boot screen. My motherboard is Sabertooth x58. At one point I somehow got into a red screen which was called GRUB4DOS, but I don't know what it is so I restarted my computer.

Background info:

It was around 2:00 pm when I closed my computer and I was heading out. When I came back home around 6-7 pm, my computer had the problem. My mom said it was still open when she was in my room in a moment before. But when I came home, the computer was closed. This makes me think that there was a windows update so my computer took a while to update before shutting down and that might have cause my computer to act like this.

Another thing was that coned was suppose to come in and read my meter on the same day, I don't know if it has any relevance to this case. (Unrelated- They called and said they were coming and never came, does this happen alot?)

So I am thinking it either is a power issue or my hard drive broke somehow.

If you need any more information, I will try my best to provide them.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Computer restarts right before windows loading screen
    « Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 03:58:31 PM »
    If the problem occurs before the Windows screen appears it is almost certainly a hardware issue. You say you can't get to the "safe mode screen". Have you tried tapping the F8 Function key when the system first boots? What happens when you do that?

Some things to do in the meanwhile:

To check the ram, download memtest (http://memtest.org/). Burn it to a cd using a dedicated .iso burning utility (http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm), make sure the cd drive is at the top of the boot order in bios, then boot to the newly created cd and run the utility.

Hard Drive Diagnostics:

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287
    Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
    Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
    If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), to make the CD bootable.
    For Toshiba hard drives see here: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=ServicesSupport/FujitsuDrivesUSandCanada/SoftwareUtilities#diagnosti
    c

And by the way, someone coming to read the meter has nothing to do with your computer.

jainwu

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 04:30:17 PM »

Well I spam the f5 key when I start up my computer (http://www.manualowl.com/m/Asus/SABERTOOTH-X58/Manual/263096?page=89) - Near the bottom, and it freezes when I do that, or it just restarts again. And when I press f8, it brings me to a boot menu with only IDE or CDROM options. Honestly, I don't think the f5 button is working and I don't even see the f5 option when I boot the system. I will try to get the tests results as soon as possible.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 05:20:53 PM »
      Try a new keyboard...report back with your results,
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 11:13:06 PM »
      Good evening jainwu

Just in case you are not aware of this in Windows 7 there is no F5 for safe mode there is only F8. But just as Patio is letting you know that you may want to try a new / different keyboard.

If you are able to get into safe mode please don't forget the do the steps that Allan is giving you for testing the memory and hard drive. Also if you are getting a grub4dos error do you have a CD disk in the drive / floppy disk in the drive / usb thumb drive in the PC.   

Hope this helps you, Mike

PS: After you are done running all your tests you may want to check and this is a last minute thought in the BIOS is the hard drive listed as first boot device.     
      Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

jainwu

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 11:01:22 PM »
        Yeah I just test the safe mode thing again, and it don't show any safe mode options. Currently I can't do the tests because this computer don't have CD ROM but I am just letting you guys know what is going on right now. I don't have any grub4dos error, I just got into the menu of it. And the windows 7 f5 thing, I did not know that. And I check the hard drive was listed as first boot device.

" If you are able to get into safe mode please don't forget the do the steps that Allan is giving you for testing the memory and hard drive. "

Quick question, does this mean I can't perform the tests if I can't get into safe mode?

I will get a picture of the f8 screen tomorrow. I can also record it and post it on youtube to show exactly what is going on if it makes things clearer.

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 06:11:22 AM »
        Please re-read my post. It doesn't say anything about safe mode to conduct the hd a memory tests. I realize that hartbeatmr's post may have confused you.

jainwu

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 11:59:40 AM »
          Right, anyways here is the screen I get to when I press f8

http://i.imgur.com/I2s8H.jpg

I am running the MEMTEST right now and everything looks like its running smoothly it is @ 20% pass right now.

But when I ran the hard drive test, it says HD is not found. I double check to see if it somehow got loose, but everything is securely plugged in. The tool I downloaded was

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=504&sid=30&lang=en
          (ISO version)

I have a "Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive"

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

When the MEMTEST finishes, I'll report the results.

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 12:36:52 PM »
          Well, there's your problem. It sounds like either a bad hd, bad hd cable or loose hd cable.

jainwu

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 08:10:13 PM »
            Alright I finish with the MEMTEST, so there is nothing wrong with my memory, zero errors.

Anyways

I don't think its the cables, I been using this hard drive for a little over a year now, and do they just suddenly stop working? I mean it was working fine before, could it be a windows update error? And from time to time, it says overclocking failure when I boot the system. (Not always, and I don't know how to recreate it)

I did some googling and I read somewhere that people system's fail to start because of some windows update, but they can still enter safe mode.

I have over a few years worth of documents in there, I don't want to lose them. Is there any way to fix this if its a bad HD or retrieve my lost files? Or is there a way to confirm that the hard drive is at fault?

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 07:12:11 AM »
            For retrieving your data :

Slave Drive Tutorial

As to the health of the HDD...DLoad and run the dignostics Free from the drive manuf. site.

milosraonik

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2016, 03:43:31 AM »

Well I spam the f5 key when I start up my computer (http://www.manualowl.com/m/Asus/SABERTOOTH-X58/Manual/263096?page=89) - Near the bottom, and it freezes when I do that, or it just
              link to the manual is not working at the moment (displays 404 error), found some new, updated manual if someone needs http://safe-manuals.com/user-manual/asus/sabertoothx79

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #12 on: December 15, 2016, 08:02:05 AM »
              He's been gone for 4 months...