Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Restart...Restart...Restart..and on it goes  (Read 2369 times)

demon13

Restart...Restart...Restart..and on it goes
« on: December 02, 2005, 04:28:58 PM »
OK, so I just built a new system for the first time, and I know this has been discussed before, and I have read those posts, but I'm still at a frustrated state.  Any help would be the ballz on this one.
When I turn my computer on it goes through all the BIOS processes (extremely quickly, however) and then for a brief second flashes the Windows XP loading screen with some sort of text up top on a blue background.  The whole screen shot is only up there for a c-hair of a second, so it's near impossible to make out more than a couple words.  The best I've been able to make out are "If this problem..." in a second paragraph. (I know I've seen this blue background of text before but can't remember what for). Then a basic DOS type page comes up as if the computer wasn't shut down correctly. "The power switch has been tripped or the power was cut off somehow blah, blah, blah......" This page gives me the options to boot in Safe Mode, Last Known Good Settings, or just Start Normally. None of these yield any results other than the XP startup page flashes again with some gibberish and the computer reboots itself.  It would go on for hours if I let it.
It's a new case and power supply - though a cheap power supply of 430W - it came with the cheap case.
A new Jetway ATX socket 478 motherboard.
A refurbished Pentium 4  2.4GHz  processor (though through false advertisement I have learned that the board is only made for 1.5-2.2 GHz) and I know that the heat levels remain low with all the fans I have.  I've checked the PC Health in the BIOS setup and it remains at 100-102 F
I've got 512MB DDR and have tried switching to 128MB SD and 256 SD seperately and have had the same results.  So the dead RAM theory is probably out the window.
The HD is almost empty except for the XP operating system, and I have switched that out as well for a like size model with the same operating system.  The same result still comes about.  So, the corrupt operating system theory is probably out the window.
64MB graphics card and a small soundcard are the only other things in the computer.
The only brand new thing is the motherboard, so maybe some BIOS setting is off or something?  I thought I reviewed then fairly carefully the first time through......

It's almost as if as soon as the system is required to initiate the operating system it draws on too much of something (power?) and the computer shuts off to preserve itself from damage.
I have booted it up with the same results after disconnecting all the smaller energy draining items like fans, etc.
Just a crap PSU?  That would be too simple, though I wouldn't complain...........

Any help is much appreciated.

J
« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 05:02:18 PM by demon13 »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Restart...Restart...Restart..and on it goes
    « Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 04:43:48 PM »
    demon13......Has this pc ever functioned properly .....
    it sounds like it must have or you wouldnt have been able to load XP ......( or did you use the HD from another pc) . Let clear this up and then we can proceed .

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

demon13

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 04:53:24 PM »
    Thanks man.
    Both HD's are from earlier pc's and I know they are both solid units.  20-30GB each , both with XP and both with very little else but the operating system on them.  I have another built pc that they both work fine in.
    The motherboard, case, and PSU are new in the mail.
    The HD's, CPU and RAM are all from other comps.
    « Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 04:59:58 PM by demon13 »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 05:05:25 PM »
      demon13....  Is there any reason that you didnt install XP fresh on a blank formatted hard drive ..... If you are 100 % certain you have the MOBO setup properly ........I would be wiping one of the Hard drives you have and then install XP .....because unless the mobo your using now and the mobo on the old pc are the same you will have issues .......You have to remember that XP knew what the configuration on the old pc was and its looking for that on the new one and its differant ...hence the errors .

demon13

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 05:15:22 PM »
      Well........no, they're not the same motherboard models.  That would make some sense, but now we're getting into some territory that has me a little reluctant.  How load a fresh XP system (which I have on hand, but I think it's just the upgrade) onto a HD when the system won't boot.  I've upgraded them, but obviously starting from scratch will be a different story.
      I know we are getting off topic now, so I won't get any further into asking you to walk me through the rest of the beta I don't have solid experience with.
      This makes clear sense to you then?  Neither HD came from the motherboard type I am installing them on.  
      Won't certain manually chosen BIOS configurations allow for the HD to do it's thing?  or does the HD conform itself to the board during an installation of the operating system?
      « Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 05:16:27 PM by demon13 »

demon13

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 05:21:40 PM »
      I think I may have found some good info......
      http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html#1
      if this is no good please advise....
      Thanks.
      J

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2005, 06:06:24 PM »
        demon13......The easiest way to install XP is to have a clean hard drive ........Then go into the bios ( Tap F8 repeated at start up ) ...........change the boot sequence to cdrom first ...save changes and exit .........now put the Xp cd in the cd drive and reboot ....XP is bootable and will begin to load ...and that should do it for you .

demon13

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2005, 07:02:19 PM »
        My first born's name is gonna be Dee-elle-sixtyfive.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2005, 07:20:22 PM »
          demon13..... LOL ......hopefully everthing will work fine for you now.

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2005, 09:53:18 PM »
          Rule #1 is never just put a hard drive with a Windows operating system into a new motherboard setup and expect it to work properly. You can get by with that with Linux, but not Windows.