Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Why Gaming PCs Have No Future.  (Read 268646 times)

1n2ui7ion

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    Re: Why Gaming PCs Have No Future.
    « Reply #15 on: March 09, 2017, 09:47:49 AM »
    I disagree.  In 2017, if you have a VR ready Pc that's over 1300$, then you don't need to worry about upgrading...   A vr ready pc will run anything you throw at it.  I've seen so much people go cheap on gaming PC's and end up messing up ..they keep upgrading over and over...if you buy something for $1300-$2000...then you're good..otherwise if you try to build a "budget" pc, you're pretty much screwed.  a 2000$ build will last you for 5 years or even 7 years..its 2017 and cards like a gtx 1080ti will last you a while and will crush a ps4 or xbox... PC gaming is not cheap.

TobbyQ

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #16 on: April 24, 2017, 04:03:25 AM »
      Well, for me, and it's just IMHO gaming on pc is not going to die. My laptop is 3 years old, and I can play all new games with good performance.
       The other thing is that some (for me nearly all) games is much more comfortable to play using keyboard + mouse, not gamepad.

Charleyyy

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2017, 03:08:18 AM »
        Truth is that even it's not the greatest investment, still people like me gonna buy high-end pcs just to get full experience from new good looking game  :)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #18 on: September 02, 2017, 12:19:45 AM »
        I disagree.  In 2017, if you have a VR ready Pc that's over 1300$, then you don't need to worry about upgrading...   A vr ready pc will run anything you throw at it.  I've seen so much people go cheap on gaming PC's and end up messing up ..they keep upgrading over and over.. ... PC gaming is not cheap.
        Part of what you said supports my point. Gaming PCs will fade into the background and not continue to be a major resewn to by a PC or similar device. Now about the subject of  VR - virtual reality-  there is still more to come before the price gets down to the point where everybody have can one. IMHO they will have to make 
        a CPU design with better fast transformations. Hard to say when that will be.

Whne Intel or AMD comes up with a design better for VR, it will not be pin compatible with what you have. No upgrade path. To keep costs down, they will have to eliminate some things we expect to have in a PC. So it will hardly be a PC. It will be some kind of entertainment system not compatible with older hardware and software. Unless the software is re-compiled as a new version.

In other words, a gaming station, not a real PC. No PCIe slots. No mouse. No USB ports. very few accessorizes other than what the maker sells. No third-party  add-nos stuff.  Few people will buy a PC, except maybe for business use. The Personal Computer, IMO, will stop being an entertainment system.

But, that is just what I think.

Try this Yahoo/You Tube link:
        PC Gaming Will Die   :o
        « Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 12:37:52 AM by Geek-9pm »

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #19 on: September 02, 2017, 01:41:29 PM »
        DaveLembke,
        In response to  your request.
        Here is a Virtual reality page from Wikipedia
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_reality
        The expression can also mean:
        "Virtuality (gaming), a family of virtual reality arcade machines"

But here we are talking about VR that could be used in your home and does not require a specail room taht has been wired like the Star Trek Halogrph Deck.

Some recent rumors or near facts about VR:

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/ezpzej/forget-360-videos-photogrammetric-virtual-reality-is-where-its-at

https://www.w3.org/MarkUp/VRML/

https://static.oculus.com/documents/310-30023-01_Rift_HealthSafety_English.pdf

https://www.wired.com/2016/04/magic-leap-vr/

http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0012369216355441

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/sony-psvr-price-drop,35326.html

http://www.playstationvrworld.com/

http://n4g.com/channel/playstation-vr

https://www.cnet.com/news/microsofts-windows-mixed-reality-vr-games-growing-pains/

https://www.vrandfun.com/microsoft-confirms-halo-vr-game-343-industries/

https://www.engadget.com/2016/12/07/microsoft-mixed-vr-holographic/

https://www.theverge.com/2016/10/26/13418156/microsoft-windows-10-holographic-virtual-reality-headset-announced-price

I have yet to read all of these all the way. I think they represent what is going on right now in the VR software / hardware industry for home users.

There are lots and lots of stuff about VR as a potential home entertainment system.And lots about other possible applications. Like driver education.
        http://www.maine.gov/rehab/dvr/youth_transition.shtml

IMHO, compatibility issues will mean that few gaming PCs soul be suitable for the new VR stuff. As mentioned, one issue is copyright protection. The makers will use proprietary hardware for two three reasons. One, keep costs down. Two, stop software pirating.  Three, make a lot of money quickly.   ;D   
        « Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 01:55:05 PM by Geek-9pm »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #20 on: September 02, 2017, 04:40:23 PM »
        VRML was basically a 3-D metafile. Despite it's acronym, it didn't actually have anything to do with VR.

VR is already a thing. Oculus Rift, Samsung Gear VR, HTC Vive, etc. They don't require any form of proprietary hardware or connections- They just require that the system be VR capable, which means a bare minimum processing capability.

The recommended specs are a Haswell core i5, Nvidia GTX or AMD R9 290, and 8GB of RAM. My PC was built in 2014 and it exceeds those requirements in excess. If I was inclined, I could buy a VR solution and be playing Project Cars in VR without any problems and without having to replace other hardware.

As you've done previously you are significantly underselling the size of "Gaming" in terms of PCs. As I mentioned before it's a massive industry, and that massive industry exists entirely because of massive amounts of consumers.

Your entire argument rests on the consensus that the "average user" doesn't want to play games. But it completely ignores that the demographic that *does* want to play games has at the very least grown proportionally. There are more people now who buy and use their PCs almost exclusively for gaming than their were computer users altogether 20 years ago.

Steam is one of the largest distribution platforms for games, it has over 33 million daily users, with sometimes more than 1 million people playing one of the more popular competitive games. Steam makes over 3.5 Billion dollars a year, and the number of users and their profits are *rising* over the last several years.

To look and see that most typical users are now moving to tablets and smartphones and say, "PC Gaming is dying" is just silly, because "PC Gaming" has always been a smaller part of the greater whole. It would be like saying PC Gaming is dying because more people use Microsoft Word than log-in to Steam.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #21 on: September 02, 2017, 11:11:25 PM »
        You do make a go argument BC.
        Still, IMO the PC gaming will fade away. Not overnight, but in a few years.
        And I also think that someday Starbucks will go belly up.  Why pay $5 for a flavored coffee anybody could make?  Likewise, why buy a PC for $1000 when you can get a $200 gadget the connects to your TV and gives equal game performance.

Ah yes, game consoles have failed.
        http://gizmodo.com/why-these-great-game-consoles-failed-spectacularly-1792622702
        And in the consumer electronics industry a lot of things bite the dust.
        Here is what is popular now:
        https://www.consumerreports.org/electronics-computers/
        But it can change soon. And it will.  In the above CR stuff, they are down on the Microsoft  Surface Laptops . Why? Because they think it is too much to pay for just a notebook. And in a year or two it will not be so great.  Consumers are very reluctant to spend a lot on electronics. A new refrigerator might be be a better long term investment.

CR claims they did a survey of 90,000 people.  That might represent the thinking of countless millions of people. Here is my point :  If people shy away from the Microsoft  surface pro, they will not like the idea of buying a desk PC with Windows 10 to play popular games. Such games will soon be available on demand using new set top tuners from Comcast and AT&T.

With a lot of people playing games over the internet, The PC is no longer relevant. Any kind of dumb internet box that has a primitive video display will do the job. The real number-crunching stuff is done on a distant server. Back when the Internet was so very slow, CPU power was needed. But now with optical fiber Internet, local CPU power is superfluous.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #22 on: September 03, 2017, 03:04:03 AM »
        Likewise, why buy a PC for $1000 when you can get a $200 gadget the connects to your TV and gives equal game performance.
        Ahh, but see that is the thing- you don't get equal game performance. It's playable, but a good Gaming PC will always run it better. Some of the most recent console "refreshes"- the PS4 Pro and the upcoming "XBox One X" generally aim for higher resolutions like 4K, whereas a lot of gaming "purists" are really after much higher framerates; there are some people who even find 60fps unacceptable, and invest significant sums in being able to use 144Hz.

These people ironically and tastelessly often refer to themselves as the "PC Master Race", Because apparently now terms used to justify a genocide are funny.... but I digress. Reddit, effectively one of the biggest sites on the Internet now, has what is called a subreddit for it, here. In the side it says right now "1,115,171 readers" which means that that many reddit users have explicitly decided to "subscribe" to the content posted to the subreddit. That's an awful lot of folks, I think. One of their arguments against console systems is that the price point is really in the range where you can actually afford an equally capable PC Build.

That Engadget article appears to look at some game consoles that ended up as duds, it isn't lookign at game consoles failing as a concept or in general. But they generally failed in the shadow of other game console systems.

If Anything, over time Game consoles have become more and more PC Like over time; nowadays they are, for the most part, locked down PCs with their own custom firmware and system software.

I also think the Surface Pro doesn't really factor in here, because it's not a gaming laptop. At best that would work towards your average consumer instead moving towards things liek tablets and smartphones for facebook and youtube or whatever average users do now. Gamers aren't going to want it because it doesn't offer good gaming performance, and your average user isn't going to want it because it is not really worth the price, so it's appeal is going to be largely limited to professionals. (at best).

Instead of a Surface pro, the "PC Gamer" archetype is more likely to go for one of those weird laptop abominations. Most laptop manufacturers have a special line for their "Gaming laptops"; MSI apparently survives almost entirely on selling gaming hardware; both desktops as well as laptops. Acer has their "Predator" series, and ASUS has their "Republic of Gamers" Brand, and so on; most of these systems are ridiculous and look like Optimus Prime changed jobs. But, there is a market for them.

With a lot of people playing games over the internet, The PC is no longer relevant. Any kind of dumb internet box that has a primitive video display will do the job. The real number-crunching stuff is done on a distant server. Back when the Internet was so very slow, CPU power was needed. But now with optical fiber Internet, local CPU power is superfluous.

Most initiatives for Remote play on a distant server haven't really gained a lot of popularity, either because they are a subscription service or because, realistically, they are used as a stopgap to allow people to play games because they cannot at that point afford to build a system capable of playing them. Otherwise, games that are played exclusively over the Internet are things like Facebook "Games", which would just lead back to the "average consumer" aspect, since you don't need a high-end PC to use Facebook.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #23 on: September 03, 2017, 08:46:14 PM »
        Looking for reference to site here, but unable to find it at the moment, but there was an interesting article on console game design and game performance that i read about 4 years ago. It was on the PC vs Console Gamer War subject, and it took it to a hardware comparison of the two and how the console versions can be stripped down to perform on a dated console.

The console when first engineered is generally ahead of its time and the game manufacturers have quite a ways to go before they bring the hardware to its knees to where performance issues arise, but towards the middle to end of the console life cycle game titles that are offered for both console and PC gaming, the game designers end up throttling back their ambitions for the console release because the console hardware is dated and not upgradeable and struggles to play the games at an acceptable performance level. And so they strip it down and have to refine their code to be less needy on the console and so you now have games that are designed that a good gaming PC can play with no problems at all that are not stripped of functionality and performance, and the same game for a dated console a stripped down version to be able to release it for that console and have acceptable performance with its internals lesser than that of the PC.

Ale Kid

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #24 on: September 15, 2017, 02:17:15 AM »
          In my opinion, you can get a perfectly decent custom desktop for a perfectly decent price, with lots of slots for RAM, and fans and all that, then simply buy new components as you the old ones become obsolete (also for perfectly decent price). Works for me.

Besides, whats the point of good video games, if you aren't going to get something to play them on.

Also, the average computer will expire much faster than a gaming computer.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #25 on: September 17, 2017, 02:49:21 PM »
          Ale Kid
          Also, the average computer will expire much faster than a gaming computer.
          I respectfully disagree. Gaming computers bell up more often. Unless you don't use the gaming PC for gaming. And if you don't use it for gaming, why even have it?

jacobsen1379

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2020, 02:01:47 AM »
            Most of yu are already heard Microsoft wants to get deep into the VR thing. They have said a new CPU with 8 cores will be in the new game console
            . Few of the motherboards used by games now are 8 core.
            Besides that,  MS yu haveto use very fast RAM and lots of it.  Some are saying that
            the VR,  vertial reality, is very adictive.
            addictive indeed just played some vr games but cant get it over with .
            VR  is future atlist for entertainment pourpose other uses also but i dont know about that....

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            « Reply #27 on: March 21, 2020, 12:35:59 PM »
            jacobsen1
            Hi  :)

Welcome to the forum. This topic is old, but still an area of interest.
            Now as for myself, I am not to the point of doing Virtual Reality because of the investment needed. And if I had the money, it would go for a better overall PC experience and not just the fun stuff. But I do like to have fun.  ;D

Check out this search I just made today:
            (From Yahoo)

PC gaming 101 News
              8)

radam

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2020, 03:02:48 PM »
              When you see the astronomical costs of today's ambitious games, I don't see how AAA PC gaming could have a future with the low sales they make on it.

If people stopped hacking a bit and bought more, of course everything will be fine, but the results are there and the big games are sold less on PC than on console with however an immensely larger machine park, it's so much damage when we see the significant technical advance that the PC currently has, and which is almost not exploit.

Rhonchial

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2020, 09:54:01 PM »
                If you buy a desktop computer today with the latest components, it'll last for at least 5 years, I don't think that will be bad investment if you really are into gaming.