Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: how and where to save the backup from my hdd portable(1T)?My pc hdd have only 80  (Read 12479 times)

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
2nd Portable is my suggestion. Label one of them say #1 and other #2.

Say #1 is the Master Drive. This drive gets updated from Drive #2 after first confirming that drive #2 is clean of virus's. Drive #1 is placed somewhere safe. Drive #2 is used as the drive you interact with most. Whenever you have a certain level of data that has been added or changed on drive #2, you will scan the system and drive to make sure no virus's exist and then connect drive #1 and update it with file changes from drive #2.

Some people balance the wear on drives by using them in a rotation as well. Such as after confirming that drive #1 is clean, introduce drive #2 and update it with changes from #1. Then remove drive #1 properly and put it somewhere safe and drive #2 is then in use. Then the next time you have some data on it you cant afford to lose you perform the complete virus scan and if clean reintroduce drive #1 and update drive #1 with drive #2. Then properly disconnect drive #2 and place drive #2 some place safe and alternate, but never miss the full virus scan prior to introducing each drive to each other. Reason being is that a virus can act like fire. Failing to perform a full scan and you just spread the fire to both drives and now are at risk of data loss.

Myself I have less than 32GB of important data that is projects that I work on so I have three 32GB USB sticks labeled A, B, and C. I backup to A, then next week B, then next week C, and then the week after that overwrites A with the latest info, and week after that B is overwritten with latest data. If I have a project that i worked on that is critical to have it backed up on multiple drives, I will perform a backup sooner than waiting 7 days and stick with my A,B,C,A,B,C rotation. NOTE: I also perform full virus scans regularly before introducing the 32GB USB sticks to be as safe as possible to not spread a virus like fire.

Back in the 1990s I had a virus that spread like fire over floppy disks and it was really bad. I learned my lesson from this.  :)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
I only said that as a suggestion. Standard desktops have room inside for a second drive. The exceptions are the very small units taht have no room for internal expansion. But if you don't want to dig inside the box, you can use an external drive for general backup and secondary storage.
This video is simple and easy to follow.
https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=chr-greentree_ff&p=howto+add+second+hard+drive+inside+PC#id=3&vid=ef944ed1e6221c68190bf608d2029d22&action=click
What he shows is what I meant.

karlosss

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
    I think first i will save everything on my laptop and on my portable hdd too until i will buy the second portable hdd( 2 places better) then i will use 2 portable hdd i will save all data on both, when i lose data form 1'st i will recopy from the 2'nd then scan for viruses, this way is impossible to lose data,thank you..ur answers make me understand many thing,thank you.I have a new question,i.e.: i want to watch 2 movies (4 hours),the movies are on my HDD Portable,what u advise me to do? copy both videos in my pc and run there? or run 4 hours directly from HDD Portable?

-By the way I saw a tut. about viruses on portable HDD and they said they can't harm ur hdd becouse virus goes to the system etc,anyway i will do what u said i will scan to be sure

-Why backup and not copy the files directly( simply copy & paste) to a 2'nd portable hdd?
    « Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 03:53:27 AM by karlosss »

DaveLembke

Sage
    when i lose data form 1'st i will recopy from the 2'nd then scan for viruses

Just wanting to let you know that you want to do a full virus scan on any computer these drives come into contact with prior to connecting the drives. *If the drive has been being used on that system extra virus scans arent necessary but I'd suggest a daily scan. Its most important that a external that was separated from the system, the system itself verified to be clean before connecting the external.

By the way I saw a tut. about viruses on portable HDD and they said they can't harm ur hdd becouse virus goes to the system etc,anyway i will do what u said i will scan to be sure

Wherever you saw this info, its false... External Drives CAN get infected and they DO get infected from a system that has an infection if the nature of the code is to spread by removable media which external drives are. There are all sorts of virus's that spread this way, however most virus's out there are dependent on Windows OS and target Windows itself by altering Windows system files or nesting/rooting themselves in the system as a parasite leech. Most do not work independent of the OS and are heavily dependent on Windows to carry out an exploit or attack method. This is why a drive infected with a Virus from a Windows system can be brought to a Linux computer and the virus is inactive. The worst virus's that I know of are ones that attack the master boot record which is a low level attack/infection. Its able to run prior to Windows booting. I am not the best guru out there on Virus's but I do know how to protect yourself from them. They are constantly evolving and so you have to stay on your toes to keep systems free of them.

i want to watch 2 movies (4 hours),the movies are on my HDD Portable,what u advise me to do? copy both videos in my pc and run there? or run 4 hours directly from HDD Portable?

If your computer has the space available to copy to the local hard drive, I would then copy them and run them from there. Once you get your second external you could play from USB external drive, but right now if your external overheats or gets bumped you lose everything on it possibly, so until the 2nd external has a copy of the first external drives contents, I would minimize its use. And so I advise copying the files to local computers hard drive at this point and playing direct from there instead. * Some external drives heat up when they are in constant use. When they are connected and nothing reading and writing to them they stay cool, but is its constantly active it can heat up. Some external drives are poorly thermally designed and dont have proper ventilation for many hours of constant use. A drive that heats up inside its case with no ability to get rid of heat can damage the drive.

Why backup and not copy the files directly( simply copy & paste) to a 2'nd portable hdd?

Any part of the conversation where I may have stated backup, it was suppose to imply that the files are replicated (copied) from Drive #1 to Drive #2.

Here are DOS instructions that can be run once you get your second drive. You will need to figure out which drive is #1 and #2. In my example below Drive #1 is E: and Drive #2 is F:

It will copy all data from Drive 1 to Drive 2. You connect both external drives to a healthy computer that doesnt have any virus's on it, and then run this instruction. It can take quite a while for the data of drive #1 to Drive #2 initially. But after the initial copy from #1 to #2, future replications should take less time because it will only copy over files that have changed been edited or altered as well as new files. * This instruction though does not perform garbage clean up, and so if you delete files on say drive #1 and connect drive #2 and run this instruction to replicate, drive #1 to #2, Drive 2 will not be removed of the files. So anything that you want removed you will have to manually remove from drives.

To make a mirror copy of Drive #1 to Drive #2

Code: [Select]
    xcopy E:\*.* F\*.* /h/s/d/y
    To make a mirror copy of Drive #2 to Drive #1

Code: [Select]
    xcopy F:\*.* E:\*.* /h/s/d/y
    *The above instructions will need to be adjusted for what drive letters your external drives are given. Its common for E: and F: to be used on a system with C: as hard drive and D: as optical drive. So before you run the instructions just be sure you know that the paths are correct for drive letters. This copies everything from E to F and F to E. You will never lose data with these, however if you have any files that were edited it will overwrite the old files. If you want to keep copies of old files its best to place then in their own directory or name them with a unique name so that they are protected from overwrite.

These are run from command prompt or can be added to a text file that is given a .bat file extension in which they then become a batch file. the very first time you do this you will see lots of files copying as well as it can take quite a while due to the limitations of the USB ports speed. I am guessing your on USB 2.0. If your on USB 1.1 or 1.0 it could take a lot longer. These days newer computers have USB 3.0 slots and if the external is a USB 3.0 drive then it goes full speed transfer rate. If its a USB 3.0 drive connected to a slower 2.0 port then it will be at 2.0 speed.

**Also to mention there is a newer replacement to XCOPY called RoboCopy, but XCOPY is compatible with a larger variety of computers so thats why I used XCOPY vs RoboCopy instructions for mirror copying the externals to each other.

karlosss

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
      thank you very much DaveLembke

DaveLembke

Sage
      Very Welcome ... Best of Luck  :)