Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Installing Ubuntu  (Read 7705 times)

Jokerman

Topic Starter

Beginner

Installing Ubuntu
    « on: February 05, 2017, 10:23:02 AM »
    In my boot menu I have my SSD (C drive Windows 10) and a blu ray drive.  I would like to install Ubuntu on my hard drive (G).  I have looked at the tutorials about how to install Ubuntu, but none of them show how to select a drive to install it on, it seems to point to the main C drive.  Is it possible to install on a different drive, I don't want to partition my C drive?
    Any other info on installing Ubuntu I should know about?
    Any help would be great.
    Many thanks in advance.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Installing Ubuntu
    « Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 07:43:24 AM »
    Ive installed Linux along side Windows and during installation you will just need to select the other drive to install to. The bootloader for Linux will detect Windows and will make an entry in grub to give you OS choice at boot with one of them as the default. Knowing the capacity of the G: drive is handy to know your targeting the correct drive as for if you target the wrong drive you could wipe out Windows. If both drives are the same size then you need to determine which one is the Windows from and which one is the drive to take Ubuntu.

Backup all important data and even create a system image if you havent already so that if a mistake is made you dont lose your Data and OS.