Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Please help..Dell desktop wont boot all the way  (Read 2599 times)

Nate5454

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Please help..Dell desktop wont boot all the way
    « on: February 08, 2017, 01:41:45 AM »
    Hello
    Please help
     I have a Dell i5 desktop. When I received it it had a bad HDD as in it was corrupted . so I decided to make this computer more of a gaming pc. I upgraded the power supply to 600w . got an ati 6gb graphics card. Added more ram and a brand new he's as well. Now with all those brand bee parts in. I inserted one of my boot discs. It loads up most of the way and then instant shut down no sounds or codes just black screen. Also if i go I to bios for whatever reason it also shuts down instantly when I try to leave. Please help

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Please help..Dell desktop wont boot all the way
    « Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 01:50:52 AM »
    What boot disk are you using?
    What new parts did you install?
    Can you remove some RAM and boot?
    Can you remove the graphics card are you the built-in graphics?
    As a diagnostic, can you go back to the older power supply?

The most likely issue is how you installed the new graphics card. Please provide some details. Some graphics cards require a three stage process of getting it right.

Nate5454

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 02:04:16 AM »

The most likely issue is how you installed the new graphics card. Please provide some details. Some graphics cards require a three stage process of getting it right.
      I started with a windows 10 boot disc when that failed went to linux mint that failed as well. It got to the initial linux download screen but then froze and shut down.

I installed an evga 600 w power block. A radeon rx480 video card. A 1tb western hard drive. As well as a stick of 8gig ram to go with the other stock sticks. .

I will replace the stick with the original and see how it goes
       I can remove the graphics card as well ill do one at a time.

And if I go back to the older power supply I cannot run my upgraded video cars. But i know the computer didn't have this issue before.
       I can't install the graphics card until I get access to the operating system. Should I try to start without the card in first?.
      Sorry if I sound so ignorant :-\

Nate5454

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 02:24:15 AM »

So I took out the video card and it wouldn't even turn on.
        Replaced the video card and took out the 8 gig stick of ram and put back in the original. It seems to be working ill keep you updated. Can you explain why 1 stick of 8gb with three 1gb sticks wouldn't work but 4 1gb sticks work. Does it have to do with the speed at which they process?

Nate5454

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 02:30:55 AM »
          It was the ram that gave me the problem. I think its because I put the newer one in the number 1 socket. I should put it in the least one so it can downclock to the speeds of the other ram sticks. Putting it in the first socket made it impossible for the other sticks to keep up. At least that's how I understand.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 04:13:45 AM »
          Unless that machine allows disparate RAM chips, the chips should all be the same.
          When you get it running again, you should be able to install either Windows 10 or Linux Mint.

Perhaps the Linux would be quicker just to see what happens.  Do you want to have a dual boot machine? If so, you may want to read this:
          http://askubuntu.com/questions/313623/can-i-install-ubuntu-first-before-installing-windows-for-dual-boot
          Yes, that is Ubuntu, but in theory it applies to Linux Mint.

About the RAM. Did you try Crucial to see what they recommend?
          http://www.crucial.com/