Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: BrowseLinux for Laptop with no hard drive  (Read 15169 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: BrowseLinux for Laptop with no hard drive
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2017, 06:44:38 AM »
Attempted a Remaster of knoppix last night to add Adobe Flash to it and learned a couple things..

#1 - Dont just copy/paste a list of instructions from the web to terminal Window and think you can arrow up to the line to edit the mounted target path. WAS NOT GOOD it ended up running with it as if I hit the enter key right when I dropped it into Terminal Window. This tried to make swap space for Knoppix 7.7.1 onto my 100MB Windows 7 partition instead of the 40GB external drive that I had connected and mounted.  :o ::)

I have never copy/pasted more than a single line to Terminal Window before of Linux and usually I can then edit and hit enter key to run it, but I guess more than 1 line of instruction it takes as an autorun of the script.  Luckily it didnt kill Windows 7 on my SSD on this system. I just needed to go to the 100MB system partition and wipe out the partial of Knoppix where it tried to expand the contents of the 4.6GB ISO and bailed when it reached the 100MB limit of this partition.  :P

As a way to make sure the correct instructions/script is run with the correct target info in the Terminal Window, I ended up using Libre Office Writer to copy/paste the instructions to that. Make changes there, and then copy/paste the edited version with the correct mounted path to /media/sdb1 for the 40GB External vs /media/sda1 which hit my 100MB System Partition on the SSD, so that it wont target sda1 and instead will correctly target sdb1 when pasted to Terminal Window with my specific target info for sdb1 vs sda1.

#2 - I should have used the instructions and scripts with the 7.0.4 version of Knoppix vs 7.7.1 that these remastery instructions were based around, and when it says these instructions are not for DVD Knoppix, go with the statement that its not for DVD instead of trying to make it work for the DVD. *What was strange is while at the start of the instructions it said instructions not for DVD later in the instructions it describes if your using a DVD (greater than 700MB) version of Knoppix to make sure you have 20GB free on the mounted drive that you are going to pass all the expanded contents to. In my case it was /media/sdb1 for the external 40GB HDD.

I got to a point and saw many errors and realized it was not gonna work and shut it down to bring Windows 7 back up and fix the 100MB partition.

Thinking I am going to give this another try tonight, but will use 7.0.4  the CD version of Knoppix which the instructions are proven to work with according to whomever created the instructions. Here is what I went with last night and crashed and almost burned my Windows 7 install with a simple copy/paste to Terminal Window, but got very lucky. http://knoppix.net/wiki3/index.php?title=Knoppix_Remastering_Howto

I am really curious WHY the instructions to expand the contents of a CD ISO would work if these instructions are correct, but a DVD ISO will not. To me the instructions should work for both and ISO image size shouldnt matter, as long as the mounted drive that its expanding to has plenty of space to allow for it to expand and take the changes. But there is something in these instructions that I guess only allows for it to work with a CD image and not a DVD image. Anyone able to look at the script at the link and see if something points out why its only for smaller CD images and not DVD images?

Only thing that stands out to me is the Swap Space getting. I would think that you would want a larger swap space for a DVD image, however your swap space you also for a Live Distro which would mount as a RAM Drive, I would think you would want to just make sure that the Virtual Swap Space just is big enough to run the Live OS, but not too large that it then requires a system with more RAM than necessary to run. For example the laptop i want to run this on has 2GB RAM and so 1GB virtual swap space would leave 1GB of the system RAM for the OS to operate as system RAM. The system I was messing around with this all on last night had 4GB and so the same parameter that works on the 2GB RAM laptop should work on this system with 4GB RAM, but instead have 1GB for the virtual space space and 3GB then for the OS to use. Also comes in the situation where its funny that a Live Distro has Swap Space anyways as a mounted partition as a RAM Drive as for Swap Space is for loading memory to a hard drive or other read/write media to assist with system RAM, but if your having RAM assist itself it just seems odd and I assume its just because its the nature of the fact that the Linux has to run as if it is not in a live environment within a live environment and so the RAM Drive virtual drive swap space is needed to make it operate as if it had a read/write able drive to work with even though the laptop for example has no writable drive in it and only runs from the read-only CD-R or DVD-R