Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: i'm looking for a 802.11ac adapter which one would you recommend?  (Read 4073 times)

jedimaster

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    i'm looking for a 802.11ac adapter which one would you recommend?

jedimaster

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: i'm looking for a 802.11ac adapter which one would you recommend?
      « Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 08:15:53 PM »
      am i in the wrong thread?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 08:18:04 PM »
      are you open any suggestion.
      Are you open to law suggestions? Here's one; go to your favorite vendor and look to see if there are customer reviews on some of the low cost Wi-Fi adapters. For basic performance is almost no difference between the low priced ones and the high-priced ones. What you want to look for is any evidence that some of the cheaper ones are defective. If they are not effective, they work quite well and satisfy the standards for 801 11 Wi-Fi.
      Even under the best conditions you not going to get much of speed improvement by using some fancy high-priced adapter. And under bad conditions, there's not a whole lot you can do to make things better anyway. What I am saying is that them basic electronics used in these devices aren't made by the same companies and then somebody else puts their brand name on.
      Here is one that works good for me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/282189214054?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

Yeah, it is on eBay. But the price is right. Buy two, but different bay vendors. Still cheaper than buying it at Walmart.
      I have two or three of these. They can apart because I was rough with them. But they did not fail electrically. I am a clumsy claus and  I I broke it them pulling out of the USB jack. But they still work, just loose in the USB jack.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

jedimaster

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 08:37:10 PM »
        are you open any suggestion.
        Are you open to law suggestions? Here's one; go to your favorite vendor and look to see if there are customer reviews on some of the low cost Wi-Fi adapters. For basic performance is almost no difference between the low priced ones and the high-priced ones. What you want to look for is any evidence that some of the cheaper ones are defective. If they are not effective, they work quite well and satisfy the standards for 801 11 Wi-Fi.
        Even under the best conditions you not going to get much of speed improvement by using some fancy high-priced adapter. And under bad conditions, there's not a whole lot you can do to make things better anyway. What I am saying is that them basic electronics used in these devices aren't made by the same companies and then somebody else puts their brand name on.
        Here is one that works good for me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/282189214054?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

Yeah, it is on eBay. But the price is right. Buy two, but different bay vendors. Still cheaper than buying it at Walmart.
        I have two or three of these. They can apart because I was rough with them. But they did not fail electrically. I am a clumsy claus and  I I broke it them pulling out of the USB jack. But they still work, just loose in the USB jack.

did you buy from this seller before?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 10:20:34 PM »
        I don't remember.
        There are lot of these on eBay. You can look over the vendors that sell the same item for about the same price.  I try to stay away from any vendor hat goes way below the average price of these unbranded items.

jedimaster

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 04:14:31 PM »
          i'm looking for one that's not a lemon. why's it so hard to find information on this?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 05:17:15 PM »
          Here is a scan of the package it came with.
          Look over the specs on the back side.
          Also, it comes with a driver mini-CD  :)
          And no, I do not rep sent any of these vendors.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

jedimaster

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 05:42:13 PM »
            Here is a scan of the package it came with.
            Look over the specs on the back side.
            Also, it comes with a driver mini-CD  :)
            And no, I do not rep sent any of these vendors.

i'm looking for usb 3.0 one

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            « Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 07:32:00 PM »
            Not to mention you asked for 802.11ac, and that is 802.11n.

I have a PCI-E AC Card, the D-link DWA-582, (I didn't buy specifically from there, I used amazon.ca and didn't use the marketplace) It worked well for me when I used it. I switched to use my Ethernet with a long cord, for performance reasons related to my motherboard, not because of anything inherent to the card. Basically I didn't have enough slots and using the card means using my second x16 slot, however when both x16 slots are populated they will only run at x8, so my Graphics card was significantly impaired.

If you are looking for a USB Adapter, I cannot provide any recommendations. I've never had an AC one but the N and G USB adapters I had, while passable, were just that, and were still somewhat finicky.
            I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            « Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 07:50:30 PM »
            i'm looking for usb 3.0 one
            Why? If you know of any reference that says there is any advantage to using USB 3 for a Wi-Fi adapter, please let me know. I have never, ever seen a recommendation for USB 3.0 for a wireless adapter.
            The now-aging USB 2.0 standard can theoretically transfer data at a very high 480 megabits per second (mbps), or 60 megabytes per second (MBps). That's impressive, but not as much as the newer USB 3.0, which can handle up to 5gbps (640MBps)—over ten times as fast as the 2.0 maximum.Jun 26, 2014
            most type N Wi-Fi systems max out at 300megabits per second, in which case the USB 3.0  offers dubious improvement.

Even with USB 3.0 one would not reach the gigabit speed offer by many modern wired Ethernet devices.

There is a downside to USB 3.0 and wireless. Some USB 3.0 devices cause interference to the2.5 Ghz band, the more  popular Wi-Fi band.

Still, the vendors offer USB 3.0 **  and if you want it that have it.  As for me, I really would like to see some documentation that I would-be better using USB 3.0 for everything I have. I don't think so.

Put another way, USB 3 has higher max data compared to USB 2, but it is still not gigabit. The speed advantage is, IMO, marginal.

**  USB 3.0 Wi-Fi adapters at Amazon.
            https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Dual-Band-Wireless-Adapter-WUSB6300/dp/B00EDOG8NC
            Up to 867 Mbps speed on Wireless-AC 5 GHz band or Up to 300 Mbps speed on Wireless-N 2.4 GHz band
            So yes, you can get near gigabit using both USB 3.0 and 802.11 ac for local network  use.
            Additional Reference:
            http://www.zdnet.com/article/gigabit-wi-fi-802-11ac-is-here-five-things-you-need-to-know/
            1) 802.11ac is not going to give you a Gigabit of throughput
            « Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 08:00:59 PM by Geek-9pm »

strollin

Adviser
              • Yes
            • Experience: Guru
            « Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 06:18:39 AM »
            The article you linked to about not being able to achieve gigabit speeds with wifi was written in 2013, I think most of the roadblocks listed would be eliminated today (better routers, better adapters, etc...) so it is probably much more achievable.

jedimaster

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 01:03:38 PM »
              i just found the one i need ASUS USB-AC68 but i don't want to pay for it at the price it costs any suggestions?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
              • Geek After Dark
                • Gekk9pm bnlog
              « Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 01:24:53 PM »
              From dictation.
              The link you gave is for an item on Amazon. It has a split antenna, which is a requirement for meeting all of the specifications for the newest Wi-Fi standard. The Amazon price is about $90.
              One could shop around to see if there's a slightly lower price for the brand name item, or one could accept a Chinese knockoff that may not have all the features.
              One of the things you might want is the support from the brand name company. When you buy one of the copycat items from China you lose your opportunity to have direct support with the company that made the item.
              Now, having said that, the chipset used in the brand name device may very well be the same chipset being used in one of the look-alike or workalike items that come from the Far East.
              On that same link I noticed that Amazon features a competitive item that is very popular at a fraction of the cost. It goes for less than $20, but has only one antenna and is not have an extension cable. This could be an issue when you want the greatest possible range and highest bandwidth.
              Now having said that, notice that this set low-cost item also is a dual band device and thus can overcome some of the interference problems found in older devices. Even so, the vice has to be mounted on the back of your desktop and may not be in the best position for optimum performance. My personal experience with this type of adapter has been positive. Only in a few cases have a found it necessary to make connections with the distant router. And when I did make a connection with the distant router I had to use a dual antenna device and the data speed was not very good.
              The new 802.11 AC standard does not really guarantee you will have better performance than some of the older standards. It depends much on the environment and many other factors that cannot be changed by simply using a better Wi-Fi standard.
              I would think that if one is willing to give up on the dual antennas and the ability to position the device for the best reception, the low cost item would be satisfactory. But that is my opinion. Here is the link that Amazon gives for the lower cost device that has most of the features you want.
              https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dcomputers&field-keywords=ANEWKODI+600Mbps+Dual+Ban
              I hope this helps.
              EDIT: I just found this web site: http://anewkodi.com/
              They offer a dual band adapter like the one in the Amazon link. But it is on sale for $10. I wonder if it is the same Amazon offers?
              Sorry, it is not the same. But nice to know ANEWKODI has a web site.
              « Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 01:36:00 PM by Geek-9pm »