Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Google voice + Android + Wi-Fi password = SNAFU  (Read 3355 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Google voice + Android + Wi-Fi password = SNAFU
« on: February 23, 2017, 05:15:52 PM »
I have an Android tablet.
Here's the problem. Recently the tablet went over to using Google voice recognition for search inputs. That's fine, in fact I rather like it. But apparently there are some programmers who work for Google who have not even any idea of what they're really doing. It's not enough to write code, it has to be usable in the real world.
For some reason the Google voice recognition was to take over any kind of input, including the input needed to type in the password for my Wi-Fi. I made a change to my Wi-Fi and had to type in the password again. But I cannot get the keyboard to come up, instead I get this little thing that wants me to On it and start talking in Google speak. Well, the password input does not accept Google speak. The password in what can be any combination of upper and lowercase letters and symbols but never spaces. The Google speak geek thing in search spaces between words and other items.
Or to put it another way, it is  SNAFU.
And I'm not the only one, this has been causing problems for people that want to use passwords instead of voice recognition for different things. How in the world can such a large corporation make such a stupid mistake? Do they actually have programmers that never heard about passwords?
Anyway, I'm starting to rant. When I need is a good workaround so I can get my tablet working again on a different wireless router. From time to time I have to change passwords or go to some other place and use somebody else's password. Like you I go to McDonald's and want to use their Wi-Fi I need to have some kind of access.
Does any of this make sense to you? Do you understand my frustration when I have to enter a password that might have any combination of letters and symbols and numbers and it wants me to speak instead of type.
Any suggestions welcome. But don't tell them to ditch the tablet.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Google voice + Android + Wi-Fi password = SNAFU
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 09:14:07 AM »
I have a Samsung tablet and I sometimes use Google's voice command feature but have never experienced the kind of hostile takeover described by you.  For example, if I tell Google to open an app or open a certain website, I can later do the same thing using the normal touch-screen technique with no issues.  Likewise, when using my smartphone.

I think I would not use Google's voice command to try entering the password for a Wi-Fi connection.  I say this because, if I tell Google to open a website where the website name has a hyphen in it, Google fails to recognize that character, whether I say "hyphen" or "dash".  So, I suspect that trying to use Google's voice command tool where you need to enter upper case and lower case letters, numbers, and special characters, is not going to work. 

I normally only use my tablet with one of two Wi-Fi connections; one of those is my router at home; the other is me using my smartphone as a Wi-Fi connection for the tablet when I'm away from home.  So, I don't need to be entering passwords for Wi-Fi connections since I always only use these two connections.

If I did encounter the problem you've described, I think I might try visiting a Best Buy store and ask a Samsung representative (in the Best Buy store) about it. 

EDIT: By the way, you might find a bluetooth keyboard an easier way to type characters with your tablet than using the touch screen since you have some vision limitations (which you've stated in some of your posts). 

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 11:30:52 AM »
Yes, I am gong to try the Bluetooth keyboard and see if that helps.
Meanwhile, I did change  the password to a common English word the Google Voice  can recognize. A similar issue is some devices that do not have a easy way to do capitals or symbols. My daughter has a device that will not do a capital letter.
Not being able to use strong passwords on a mobile device undermines the reason for even having a device.
What I mean to say, is if we can not have privacy, then lee's just go back to public pay phones and forget cell phones.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 11:47:22 AM »
What I mean to say, is if we can not have privacy, then lee's just go back to public pay phones and forget cell phones.

Like you would really do that ? ?
Where's the closest 1 to you ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 12:07:24 PM »
Like you would really do that ? ?
Where's the closest 1 to you ? ?
You have a good point.
Even Superman, with his powers, has a hard time finding a phone booth.

::)
supermanPhone booths have all but vanished from the American landscape, to the delight of the myriad faceless number crunchers who toil at Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile. It’s bad enough that the extinction of the public telephone has created so much hardship for cellphoneless citizens like myself, but far worse is the chilling effect it has had on the crime-fighting work of Superman. I am not the first to note that as phone booths and pay telephones have been uprooted from street corners, sightings of the Man of Steel  have become few and far between.
http://www.anotherthink.com/contents/essays_on_faith/20130815_the-truth-about-supermans-phonebooth.html