Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Advice on taking desktop over a plane  (Read 8076 times)

jasonjacob

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Advice on taking desktop over a plane
    « on: May 02, 2019, 12:12:25 AM »
    Ill be doing some traveling in the near future and will be gone for a long enough time that i would have to bring my computer with me to do work on.

unfortunately my work computer is a desktop. is it possible to bring a desktop over a plane in a check in baggage. i plan to wrap it in bubble wrap or even place bubble wrap inside the tower. but my concern is if it will get x-rayed.

i (like everyone else in the world really) wouldnt want the hdd to get damaged. i was thinking of taking that as a carry on but i would still have to pass it thru an x ray scanner.

any advice or information one could provide? im aware it will get tossed around or even dropped. case damage isnt an issue for me (its all plastic no glass) as long as it doesnt end up cracked in half.

thanks

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Advice on taking desktop over a plane
    « Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 08:21:52 AM »
    In my opinion, that is a bad idea.
    Please explain in some detail why you cannot use a portable laptop computer for your work. The airlines are accustomed to having people take laptops as carry-on items.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 09:32:20 PM »
    TSA also will have a field day with it. I had them pull me to the side when I had 2 laptops a Netbook and a Larger Laptop. They swabbed the laptops testing for explosive residue and then a bunch of questioning. I brought my netbook to have a small computer for on the plane and my larger laptop for the hotel room that I was staying at for 5 long weeks on a business trip.

Both on my trip out and back I was pulled to the side and laptops both x-rayed and both swapped and then lots of questions again because I was outside of the norm with 2 laptops.

Bringing a desktop with you you will draw the same attention as well as they can refuse for it to board in which your in a mess of burning a plane ticket or losing a computer if there is no one there to send it back home with.

Also, with a desktop computer unless it is an all in one you will need to bring a monitor with you and cables and keyboard and mouse.

You might get more than pulled to the side and questions such as a full cavity search because you stand out from the norm.  :-X

If I was in your situation I would strictly avoid the desktop computer even if its an all in one and invest in a laptop which will make you look like everyone else travelling. If the desktop has to go out with you then ship it out to your destination so it will arrive at your hotel. That's when lots of bubble wrap is needed. Then ship it back home when your done and insure it for its full replacement cost in case it gets drop kicked like Ace Ventura so it can be replaced if destroyed. Put all important data on a thumb drive or cloud storage so that if destroyed you still have your important data, and don't ship the thumb drive with the computer in case it goes missing. Keep the thumb drive on you to make the trip back if you decide to store data on a thumb drive vs cloud storage. I just got a 128GB Flash Drive for $34.99 on sale the other day. Most projects would fit on 128GB or less.

rosbert

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 01:44:37 AM »
      Investing in a laptop is the best solution. More convenient when traveling.
      i7 6800k, GTX 1080, 32GB ram | atturo