Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows wont boot after manufacturers default reset in BIOS.  (Read 5038 times)

TimH

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    windows wont boot after manufacturers default reset in BIOS.
    « on: February 21, 2017, 04:28:44 AM »
     :'( Trying to fix a friends ASUS laptop. She put on a new screen from a different model ASUS LTP, Windows wouldn't boot. So then she chose manufacturers default and Windows still won't boot and and also wont let me reinstall a new OS from a disk, USB or hard drive. Looked all over but can't find help. Driving me potty!! Am I missing something obvious? If ANYONE can help I'd be eternally grateful! Thanks.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: windows wont boot after manufacturers default reset in BIOS.
    « Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 11:12:37 AM »
    Try to boot in safe mode. Maybe the new screen has a different driver. In safe mode Windows will use a generic driver for the video.
    Wait, do yu mean that it does not even show the normal sash screen at start-up? The one that just gives the name of the computer maker?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 12:30:05 PM »
    screens do not have drivers

TimH

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 02:13:29 PM »
      Thanks for your replies. If I boot in safe mode i get a blue screen STOP c0000221 Unknown Hard Error\SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll
       ???

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 02:46:33 PM »
      Thanks for your replies. If I boot in safe mode i get a blue screen STOP c0000221 Unknown Hard Error\SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll
       ???
      OK. The thing doe work. But Windows has a problem. The DLL file might have been damaged. But error messages are not always helpful.
      You need to start the boot again in safe mode and chose the op;tion to repair the system.

Safe mode option sin Windows 7 here:
      https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17419/windows-7-advanced-startup-options-safe-mode
      Please read that over and try the option suited to your needs.

TimH

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 05:39:00 PM »
        Ok, sorry to take so long. Tried every option in safe mode to no avail. Then pushed escape when on advanced screen, then TAB, then enter (memory diag). Screen came up saying put in install disc and i pushed enter. THEN it did start to load Windows, asked me for a language, then which partition i wanted (whole or half) then a huge red ERROR across the screen. Now if i do the same things it takes me to a blue screen saying INITIALISATION FAILED etc. SO Close....  ??? Any more ideas? Please...

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 07:08:20 PM »
        Using dictation.
        Don't give up yet. you got to this point and got some messages which indicates you are better off than where you were before. Now some of the messages and dialogues are starting to make sense. Apparently, the computer basically works but there is some part of it that is giving you an error when you try to do a repair of the system.
        From the experience of others as well as my own, the most likely culprit would be either the hard disk drive or possibly the power supply. However, you might want to try the memory test diagnostic before you go any further. The memory test diagnostic does not require use of the hard drive and does a test of the memory system. In some cases and hard-to-find errors that can only be caught by using a vigorous memory test.
        If the memory test can go on for say a half an hour or so, most likely the memory is okay.
        Now about the hard drive. It's kind of tough to know what to do about the hard drive. If we erase the drive or reformatted, we lose whatever information was on the drive and the user will be very unhappy about that.
        The most conservative thing to do at this point is to put in a new or tested hard drive and do the full installation on a hard drive that is known to be good.
        Otherwise, trying to use the same hard drive and hoping you'll find some place on the hard drive that works can be very frustrating and most likely will be very futile.
        So, after doing the memory test, your best option is to go find another hard drive.
        That's the best I can do for you right now.
        By the way, to save time I did this from dictation and the maybe some funny words are some funny grammar here, but this is faster for me.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 07:27:31 PM »
        The errors you are receiving, paired with the original issue booting, all seem to point to a failed hard drive.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.