Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: getting wifi on second computer in the basement  (Read 3014 times)

ydono

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    getting wifi on second computer in the basement
    « on: March 02, 2017, 12:06:36 PM »
    I receive my internet through time warner cable.  I have wifi that my phones and laptops use.  I have Ethernet cable that my main computer in the office uses.  I have a second computer in the basement that I would like to have on the internet.  Rather than stringing a second Ethernet cable down there (because the computer doesn't have wifi) I would rather use some sort of wifi usb "stick" to connect via wifi.

I confirmed with my cable company that the cable box for my computer/internet is a gateway wifi router.

Any suggestions or recommendations?  Thanks!

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: getting wifi on second computer in the basement
    « Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 03:19:17 PM »
    I'd survey the basement to make sure wireless devices can handshake from the location you plan to use it at. And then get a USB wireless stick knowing that the wireless signal there should work. Do you have a smartphone of some other way to test wireless signal strength for the location that you plan to use?

I have used USB Wireless Adapters before and some are good and some are junk. The one that I had the best luck with is this one: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315091

Tavi

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 10:16:25 PM »
      You should get a PowerLine Network Adapter. This may solve your problem.

ydono

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 02:28:53 PM »
        I ended up getting a $9.00 usb wifi adapter and it worked!  It took a while to get the correct driver loaded but after that it was a breeze.