Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Shutdown PC problem  (Read 8842 times)

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Shutdown PC problem
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2017, 09:35:05 AM »
Battery is pretty cheap, but this may or may not fix the problem you have. So is the price of replacement worth the gamble?

Google shows specs of:
ASUS X50VL-AG059P - 15.4" - Core 2 Duo T5450 1.66Ghz - 2 GB 667Mhz RAM - 160 GB HDD

So the 32-bit must be the OS, Not the processor since that processor is a 64-bit CPU able to run backwards compatible to 32-bit OS.

The specs of this laptop are really weak. I have a Gateway laptop computer that was given to me with the T5200 1.6Ghz Core 2 Duo and its battery only lasts about 5 minutes without being plugged in. So it has to remain plugged in. Its also has just 2GB RAM and Windows 7 32-bit is not the fastest on it. I wouldn't put much money into the ASUS X50VL as for a refurb that is better can be purchased pretty cheaply or if your budget allows, buy a low cost brand new laptop for around $300-$400 that will perform far better than this. I even bought a brand new Del Laptop Core i3 2.1Ghz laptop brand new with Windows 10 and 500GB HDD for $279.99. The gateway that I got for free I leave as a beater laptop for my wife, daughter, or myself to use in the kitchen. If something gets spilled into it or if it falls off the table, no big loss.  ;D Wife uses it to lookup recipes etc, so it works for the purpose for a laptop that I dont care about its fate in the high risk location of the kitchen.  :P  *Additionally memtest86 shows that this Gateway that was given to me has a memory issue where in 2 of 8 passes of the test there was a pattern mismatch, so its got issues, but it has only frozen up when left running for long lengths of time. At some point if I come across a good 2GB 533Mhz RAM Stick I might take the time to swap it out to resolve this minor issue. This laptop is also used for facebook games in kitchen and plays them but laggy because of the Integrated Intel 945 Mobile GPU which is really weak.

http://www.battdepot.com/us/search/model/Asus/X50VL.aspx?gclid=CO_Eqd3iv9ICFUY8gQodJVALFA

puturus

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #16 on: March 05, 2017, 11:44:00 AM »
    Thank you for your replies.

Yeah, in my opinion, it's not worth to invest money on this *censored* laptop. I may buy a new one in the near future, but meanwhile I'll be using this.

Back to the problem, if the BSOD issue can't be fixed easily, is there at least a way to "bypass" it for what I wanted to do: schedule a shutdown?  (Doesn't have to be a shutdown, can be a sleep or hibernation command/script, just something than i can leave home and leave it doing whatever i need it to do, but then at X time make it stop making noise >.< )
    (schedule a shutdown,

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #17 on: March 05, 2017, 12:48:24 PM »
    Have you checked Device Manager for any Yellow !!'s ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

puturus

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #18 on: March 06, 2017, 07:15:11 AM »
      All seems fine in Device Manager

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes