Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cascade wifi routers or create static routes?  (Read 3403 times)

Zasten

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Cascade wifi routers or create static routes?
    « on: March 06, 2017, 08:25:05 AM »
    Hi!

How do I cascade these two routers? 1. netgear wnr 3500Lv2 2. ASUS RT-AC68U

Alternatively, how do I create a static routes between 2 pcs on different subnets?

See link or attached image for my network diagram https://goo.gl/N5Tsd3

I have two routers to cover my home because the wifi doesn't cut it, I want to go to wires... One is a netgear wnr3500Lv2. This is set as the primary router with DHCP ethernet in from ISP (in the hallway). The other is an asus RT-AC68U. A much better router with good wifi range and features (in the lounge).

The problem is that I have tried to cascade the router but the asus router insists on automatically creating a different subnet. Complains of an IP conflict, even though I made sure to turn off DHCP, set router operating mode and set IP to a free static address on the primary netgear router...

So,

How do get Laptop 1 to see gaming PC?
    a) change subnet and cascade routers. Problem see text above.
    b) static routing, not sure how to do...
    c) other.

Thanks for the help!

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Cascade wifi routers or create static routes?
    « Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 11:53:59 AM »
    Rather than having a second router you should really just be using a plain access point which won't do all of this.  In order to use the hardware you have, what you would need to do is disable DHCP on the ASUS and assign it a static IP in the same subnet as the Netgear.  Then plug the Netgear into one of the ASUS's LAN ports (not the WAN one).  This will mean the Netgear will handle DHCP for the entire network and the ASUS will behave as a basic access point.

Zasten

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: Cascade wifi routers or create static routes?
      « Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 12:07:54 PM »
      @camerongray Thanks for the reply. Tried this already, see above ^^

The problem is that I have tried to cascade the router but the asus router insists on automatically creating a different subnet. Complains of an IP conflict, even though I made sure to turn off DHCP, set router operating mode and set IP to a free static address on the primary netgear router...