Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Firefox is ending support for Windows XP and Vista  (Read 4442 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Firefox is ending support for Windows XP and Vista
« on: March 08, 2017, 09:58:39 PM »
This was announced earlier this year by Mozilla, the makers of Firefox.
Starting now there is an extended sport.
From another source comes this:
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/03/final-firefox-version-with-windows-xp-plugin-support-released-today/
Firefox 52 is out today, and it's a landmark release for a couple of reasons.

The release is the final major version to support two legacy operating systems: Windows XP and Windows Vista. Future major versions of the browser will require at a minimum Windows 7. Firefox 52 is an Extended Support Release; it will receive security fixes (and only security fixes) for approximately one year. New features, however, will be restricted to the mainline version of Firefox. Microsoft no longer supports Windows XP at all, and Windows Vista drops out of extended support on April 11, 2017. Google dropped Windows XP and Windows Vista support in Chrome in April 2016.
I am not going the let them make me cry.  :'(

Donutmuncher

Greenhorn

• Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Firefox is ending support for Windows XP and Vista
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 09:15:44 AM »
I used firefox for about a year after switching from chrome. I started having memory leaks, which was resolved by switching back to Chrome. I still use firefox at work since I don't seem to have the issue. Don't cry, I'm sure there are other browser out there that you might like ;D

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Firefox is ending support for Windows XP and Vista
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 10:02:15 AM »
Much ado about nothing...
The latest ver of Firefox runs fine on my XP rig...
If it ever gets wonky there are years and years of older builds out there that i'm sure will run fine...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "