Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: All browsers have options to automatically remove cookies, but I have a ?  (Read 5346 times)

Lorraine walsh

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• A techie by nature!
    • Experience: Experienced
    Well I have read about deleting browser cookies is a good practice and I do it quite often manually and got to know about the automatic thing via https://www.purevpn.com/blog/how-to-delete-cookies-at-browser-exit/ recently. Now My question is that is it possible on any browser to to keep cookies on the same site? I mean as long as I am on a certain site, it should keep cookies on that? I hope my question is understandable because I don't exactly know how to phrase it otherwise...

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Now My question is that is it possible on any browser to to keep cookies on the same site? I mean as long as I am on a certain site, it should keep cookies on that? I hope my question is understandable because I don't exactly know how to phrase it otherwise...

Are you saying ... the website your connected to, for them to store the cookies on their server vs your computer?

( Cookies are for storing information locally at your computer so that when you go back thereto their site your browser will use them if available to usually benefit the user from not having to enter in say location or address or other stuff. Cookies can be used incorrectly as well which is why they have a bad name for themselves when a website is coded to use them in a way that is to farm information from you etc and invasion of privacy etc. )

If you really want a system that you can get online and have it dump all history and cookies etc, I would suggest running a Linux Live environment such as Knoppix where computer boots from a CD or DVD disc and the OS is read-only on that disc. When teh system boots off that disc and runs its all running in RAM and reads form the CD-R or DVD-R disc when files are needed but never saves the data to disc. So when you shut down all data is gone. You boot the computer back up and its clean again like new, and it has no clue who you are and all cookies and history is gone on reboot.

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    I wouldn't say it's "Good Practice" to delete cookies at all.  Websites put them there for a reason and expect them to be there when you visit the site in the future.  All you get by deleting cookies is a more frustrating experience by having to log into every website every time you open your browser and having no preferences saved between session.

If you don't want cookies to be saved on a specific website (which I have to do regularly for testing sites) then you're best to use your browser's "Incognito" or "Private Browsing" mode as this won't save cookies.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    The age old myth that cookies can be harmful is total bunk now...for everyday users they don't need to be touched...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Lorraine walsh

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• A techie by nature!
      • Experience: Experienced
      Thanks for the clarification about cookies. But I have read on many sites like arstechnica that cookies can invade my privacy which is why I started deleting them. I want those cookies to be stay on my computer as long as I am on the site then it should be removed to invade my privacy?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Experience: Beginner
      Cookies are used to store session data when you leave a site so it  can be restored when you return.

If you stay on a site, that information is part of the session and not a cookie.

I have read on many sites like arstechnica that cookies can invade my privacy
      A garden hose can be used for a surprise colonoscopy but that is no reason not to have a garden hose.

The idea that cookies can invade privacy is a silly one, not because it's entirely untrue but because it is such a minor thing compared to the more prevalent methods. Advertisers do track users across websites but they don't do it by using cookies, they do it by saving that information in their database. Things like Google analytics or Google adsense for example are on so many websites that it can basically track you across the web. It can see you on "BobsFarmingBlog.com" and "PaulsTractorCorp.net" and similar related sites and save that information on a server side database, then classify that you might be interested in a new tractor and show you ads for tractors and farm equipment. This behaviour is not related to cookies.

Some of these advertising widgets/components do save cookies. For what purpose, I don't know, since they can't really get more information from you with them. You can block third-party cookies pretty easily though with most web browsers- for example on BobsFarmingBlog.com, BobsFarmingBlog.com can save cookies, but ads.google.com cannot. ads.google.com will still save your IP address and what website you are viewing and your browser fingerprint into it's massive database, but hey at least you won't have a scary textfile connected to your browser.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      Lorraine walsh,
       Cookies you can see and know where the come from.
      Of much greater concern is what you don't see and don't know.
      Chasing Cookies might give you a false sense of security.
      Rt a Google search on:
      The Biggest Threats to Your Privacy
      You might be surprised.