Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ownership password  (Read 2864 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
ownership password
« on: March 22, 2017, 05:40:48 PM »
This has annjoiedmefor a lomng time.   >:(
It is NOT int he documentaiontaht comes will my router.
SoI hadtoGoolge it.  ;D
Wireless asking for “Device Ownership Password” To fix this: Go to Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs (or Programs and Features) -> Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Software -> Modify -> Then UNcheck Wi-Fi Protected Setup. After doing that, you will be able to connect with just the normal router password!Jan 30, 2012
Sourece:
https://techraptor.net/content/wireless-asking-for-device-ownership-password

IMO, this is  only an annoyance.It is bad security. It does NOT make anything better. The user can disable once helearns how. And hewill.
Why is it itthatthesecurity people thinkthat if something is hardfor tghe average person, it is automatically more secure from hardened criminals?

Do you believe this sort ofthingreally helps? I don't, butI will lissten if you wantto convice methathe "ownership password" will make aoutWi-Fi moe secure. I think it is onlyan annoyance.  8)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: ownership password
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 06:05:37 PM »
Wifi Protected setup let's you put in the PIN stickered on the device itself to connect to it, rather than knowing the wifi password. It is not an "additional" security feature. It is designed to make it easier by effectively allowing  the confirmation of hardware access to allow login.

The PIN method (this prompt) is the old way. it is deprecated and not only supported but discouraged. It hasn't even been present in Intel's Wireless drivers for about 8 years.

It was replaced by the button method, You try to connect,  the software says "press the button" and you press the WPS button on the router and then you are connected- again, it confirms you have physical access.

Naturally all of these features can be disabled in both the router or the wireless software.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: ownership password
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 05:19:24 AM »
Geek - Dictated or not,  PROOFREAD YOUR POSTS