Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Advice on sending a faulty PC abroad for repair / replacement wanted  (Read 3827 times)

Clayto2

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
    As I have not found a business or anyone willing to replace the emmc drive in my 2-in--1 Tablet PC I am very probably going to have to send it from the UK to USA for replacement / repair, under warranty. I am very much in need of advice regarding this unfamiliar and unwelcome action.

For example, if possible should I format the C drive? And before doing this should I backup all or some of it to an external drive first, or is it likely this will copy the faults in the drive?

Secondly, with regard to the imminent Creators update should I try to install this before sending the machine back, or should I try to send it back before the (compulsory) update arrives?

I may well be able to carry out these procedures because I understand (although the machine is not in my hands at present) it is still usable for many activities, despite the faulty drive (emmc, very difficult / costly to replace), which is however causing more than a dozen malfunctions, like being unable to download / update Store apps, or set a PIN code for signing in, or use links in Mail, etc.

I have seen that there are some items on emmc's in this webpage I have not encountered elsewhere which I will read with interest.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Please supply the brand name and model of the PC.
    Also, how long have you had it?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Personally i would do a complete image of the HDD as a backup...there are many image apps out there...my recommendations would be Acronis True Image...Paid...or for Free choices either Macrium Reflect...or Easus ToDo.

This way you have all your data ...and it can be restored after you get the PC back...
    An image will not create hardware faults...which it seems you have so that's no concern.

However you don't want an image that may be infected so run all your protection scans on it prior to creating the image...

Good Luck...and keep us posted.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Clayto2

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
      Thaanks for your replies.
      I have decided not to try sending my Cube iWork Ultimate back, partly because i am having doubts about it being a hardware problem.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      So what do you think it is ? ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "