Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop similar to PC specs.  (Read 3099 times)

bromtheman

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    Laptop similar to PC specs.
    « on: April 05, 2017, 09:43:09 PM »
    So, I've been looking for a laptop that is similar to my PC, as I want to be able to do all the same stuff I do on my PC currently, like a little bit of gaming, movies, programming, e.t.c, but I want to be able to do it while I'm on the go as well. I don't want to pay like 800 dollars for a Dell Inspiron 15 7000, but rather I would like to keep it close to what I already have.

CPU: FX 4200 (Intel would be fine as well  ;) )
    GPU: GTX 660
    Hard Drive: 1 TB - Forgot the brand (500ish GB would be fine as well)
    Memory: 8 GB

Some of the finer details such as battery life and such of said laptop aren't of super high importance to me as I'll probably be around a wall outlet most of the time, but I would like to find a laptop that is similar to those specs listed.

(Wasn't sure if this was the right forum or not, but it didn't seem to fit elsewhere.)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Laptop similar to PC specs.
    « Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 10:32:04 PM »
    This is the right place. But you could have used the hardware area.
    The general consensus is that laptops are seldom good gamers.

If battery life is an issue,  another battery and keep it in your pack.

Currently makers of laptops want them to be almost as good as desktops. They can make more profit on a laptop. Most new stuff now is abut mobile (low power) computing. Bother Intel and AMD want to sell you a new laptop.

Have you thought about a used laptop? 

bromtheman

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 10:58:04 PM »
      I'm not specifically wanting it for gaming, I just want it to be about as good as the hardware I mentioned, I don't want to buy a 1000 dollar laptop with a 1050 and all of that in it, Just a relatively cheap laptop that can still do stuff.

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 06:45:34 AM »
      CPU: FX 4200 (Intel would be fine as well  ;) )
      GPU: GTX 660

What is the most complex game you would run on it, so we can figure out a good pairing? As well as what is your actual budget... You said you dont want to spend $800 or more and want cheap? I want to see if its realistic as to what your asking for with whatever money amount you have to invest into this laptop.

I am thinking your going to have to go with a refurbished gaming grade laptop to get what you want even not knowing your budget yet. But lets see what you have for money to play with before we make laptop model suggestions.

What frame rate are you expecting as well with whatever is the most complex game you would run?

bromtheman

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 10:34:26 AM »
        My budget that I am willing to spend is around 600 dollars, and I'm wanting a laptop that has similar hardware to what I mentioned above, so I'm not specifically looking for a laptop that gets good fps on games and such, but rather something that can match my PC build that I have at home (with the GTX 660 and FX 4200 CPU) From what Dells I have looked at I have compared the Intel HD Graphics 620 and 520, but they don't get anywhere near the same power as my GTX 660.

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 10:41:57 AM »
        https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231329R

Open Box model available with GTX 660m ( pretty close to the desktop GTX660 ), but the mobile GTX 660 will be slightly less, but should play the games etc. Paired up with a Core i7 for $630 with free shipping marked down from $720

mort

• Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 09:32:22 PM »
          Dell i7559-763BLK
          15.6 inch 1920 x 1080
          Core i5 6300HQ/GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5
          256GB SSD
          8GB DDR3

mort

• Experience: Beginner