Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Linux Gaming - No DirectX and OpenGL is not the greatest  (Read 6420 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Linux Gaming - No DirectX and OpenGL is not the greatest
« on: June 17, 2017, 03:07:20 PM »
Friend of mine built a computer and decided to try avoiding purchase of Windows because he doesnt like Windows ever since Version 8 changed the desktop environment. He saw that lots of games are playable through Steam supporting Linux, however the performance of these games isnt the greatest because it used OpenGL drivers. He asked me if there was a way to get DirectX to work somehow through WINE and I said I dont believe that would work, however I dont game on Linux for major game titles and play games that are specific for Linux that arent GPU intensive.

So checking here to see if anyone knows of a alternative to OpenGL for him to get better gameplay. He plays some games through WINE that arent available on steam as well. He is running Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit

His build is a:

AMD FX 6300 6-core 3.5Ghz
8GB DDR3 1333Mhz ( 2 x 4GB )
ASUS motherboard ( not sure which one yet )
MSI GTX 960 with 2GB Video RAM

I brought over a spare drive and did a clean install of Windows 7 Pro (OFFLINE) unactivated where it gives you 3 days before activation required and tested his hardware with games offline and the system runs really well, but its because it has DirectX with Windows 7 Pro. Pulled my drive out and set his Linux drive back up so we know the potential of his hardware, but just not sure if he is going to be able to get that same potential out of Linux or not.

He might just have to bite the bullet and buy Windows 10 or find a copy of Windows 7 which has a desktop environment that he doesnt mind.  :-\

Figured I'd see what becomes of this in case there is a DirectX sort if open source project out there that I am not aware of that give Linux better game play than OpenGL?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Linux Gaming - No DirectX and OpenGL is not the greatest
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 04:39:11 PM »
There is no DirectX "replacement" on Linux because there is zero need for one. OpenGL and Vulkan offer the performance and capabilities of DirectX 12.

You need to install the NVidia proprietary driver package in order for MESA (The linux graphics subsystem) to be hardware accelerated. Linux doesn't magically install it like Windows; it uses a compatible software-rendered implementation.

How To Install The Latest Nvidia Drivers In Ubuntu or Linux Mint Via PPA

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Linux Gaming - No DirectX and OpenGL is not the greatest
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 04:54:49 PM »
Cool Thanks for the info BC.... I bet its as simple as that.
You need to install the NVidia proprietary driver package in order for MESA (The linux graphics subsystem) to be hardware accelerated
  :)