Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Trying to install Windows XP on a Windows 7 laptop  (Read 7332 times)

Kescarte_DeJudica

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Trying to install Windows XP on a Windows 7 laptop
    « on: April 16, 2017, 06:40:19 PM »
    Hello,

I have a laptop I bought a year back with Windows 7 installed on it. The laptop is a Acer Travelmate P243-M-6416, Model number ZQW

Serial number: nxv7baa004230175637600

SNID:23009558776

I want to install Windows XP on it and get rid of Windows 7. The reason is I have a newer Windows 10 computer that handles my normal computer activities, and  because I have a lot of old game software I bought at thrift stores that was made for Windows 95 and 98. These won't run on Windows 7, but will run on Windows XP.

I have a copy of Windows XP Pro, SP3, which I went through the installation process with on my laptop. It installed without issue.

However, after installation, I found out that I had deleted all my drivers, as I had deleted all former partitions in the hard drive upon installation. So, now my computer can't do basic functions, including connecting to the internet, and running software. When I try to install my games, I get an error about Runtime Libraries or Direct X.

I also cannot find drivers online for Windows XP for my computer model.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks very much for your help!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Trying to install Windows XP on a Windows 7 laptop
    « Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 07:27:43 PM »
    Ain't gonna happen without XP drivers...especially a laptop.

This may help...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    « Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 10:51:06 PM »
    It doesn't look like Acer provides any Windows XP Drivers for the system, making it, rather unusable as you have discovered.

I did find This Site which claims to have Windows XP drivers. I downloaded a graphics driver and it seems like they are the drivers direct from the hardware manufacturer so you might have some luck with those. Do avoid the "Driver update utility", however- that's just crapware the site wants people to install.

I've not had issues running most older games even in Windows 10, except for MS-DOS or 16-bit software.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

cornemuse

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 10:49:41 AM »
      I have a Toshiba A505D W-7 laptop I installed XP 64 on. (well, I tried, , , ,). I finally took it to a computer shop & paid $50 & the dude installed everything, except a toshiba thingie for? protecting the computer from shaking <- some such thing.  Looking back, the $50 was cheap compared to wasted time & effort.

1st thing I did was, I cloned a second hdd, just in case, , , , (this laptop has an 'e-sata' plug)

-c-

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 12:05:33 PM »
      The difference here is your laptop probably had WinXP drivers...his does not...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 01:52:54 PM »
      For what it is worth.... Old computers with Windows XP are a dime a dozen.
      Search Amazon or eBay for old computers.
      Weill... not a dime a dozen, but some for about $50 in working condition.

I searched of desktops under $55 and got:
      89 results for working desktop PC .
      ...with free shipping.  :o
      http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=desktop+PC&_udlo=11&_udhi=55&LH_BIN=1&_mPrRngCbx=1&LH_FS=1&_osacat=58058&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC1.A0.H0.Xworking+desktop+PC.TRS0&_nkw=working+desktop+PC&_sacat=58058
      The more common brand names should have XP drivers on respective web sites.