Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Never insert a RAM stick without being able to see what your doing  (Read 2191 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
So for years I have installed RAM into computers... No serious mishaps, key notch always saves from wrong insertion etc. What could go wrong with inserting a RAM stick into a computer with its side cover off that is facing the wall and to lazy to completely unplug all cables other than power cord unplugged so that no power anywhere on motherboard when inserting RAM stick blindly.

Well I felt for the ejection wings and knew the orientation of the key notch and so many times before I felt for that end slot to the RAM socket as a guide down to the socket and then feel the ejection wings then want to close in to lock the RAM stick into the RAM bank socket.

So I thought I found this guide and the RAM stick slid down and then I felt resistance, so I pressed without seeing what i was doing and working on feel only. First indicator that something was wrong was RAM stick all the way down and level with other stick, but the ejection wings didnt close in on the sides of the RAM stick. So I carefully remove the 2GB DDR2 800Mhz RAM stick and it ejects easily falling into my hand.

What in the world connected with this RAM stick to feel like it was in the slot?

Well the space between RAM slot sockets is the perfect distance to wedge a RAM stick into.  ::)

On top of that I heard something small fall and land on the bottom of the computer case. Yup you probably guessed right... the tall surface mount capacitors I sheered those right off as I was pressing the RAM stick in between RAM slots vs in the actual slot. Grrrrrrrr  :o

Below is a picture of a Good 2GB Stick of RAM with capacitors on it where they belong... and then there is below that the sheered off capacitors circled in orange.

Well it looks like my wifes Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz system that was going to be upgraded from 4GB to 8GB of DDR2 800Mhz for free, is going to be instead upgraded to 3 sticks now for 6GB of DDR2 800Mhz and single channel vs dual-channel. * I pulled the RAM which is good from a DOA system that had 4GB RAM in it, and it would have made a sweet free upgrade to 8GB, but I had a major mishap.

I have to say thats the last time I blindly reach in and feel for slots and install RAM. I have done that so many times in the past, especially back in the day of IDE cable and power to motherboard cables in the way draped over the RAM slots.

So word of warning.... Dont be like me and destroy RAM or even possibly motherboard installing RAM without an actual view of what your doing and surprise surprise a RAM stick can be wedged between the plastic RAM slot connection. In the picture below I also added a picture from one of my bench boards to show the spacing between RAM slot memory banks is just about exact to the actual correct connection that if you feel for this blindly your going to destroy something thinking the RAM stick is in the slot and its pinched between the RAM Bank socket bodies.  ::)

So well designed to allow for a RAM stick to fit snug between this space and sheer off tall surface mount components in the process!

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Never insert a RAM stick without being able to see what your doing
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 03:49:48 PM »
Here is how the RAM stick can fit perfect right between both RAM Slots...

Hey a 2 RAM Slot Bank Motherboard can Hold THREE STICKS!!!!  :o  ::)  :P

;D DONT TRY THIS AT HOME  ;D

Notice how those Tall Surface Mount Capacitors are so ready to get sheered off if this stick is pressed down!

And it doesnt take much pressure to sheer off small lead solder joints......  :'(

* I might desolder one of these larger and smaller caps and see what values they are and solder on new ones to save this 2GB stick from recycle.  ;)

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]