Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Height of buildings an a map  (Read 2753 times)

tuanhuy

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Height of buildings an a map
    « on: April 24, 2017, 11:07:37 AM »
    Hi all,
    I saw an old map a few days ago about the buildings in a city and how tall they were. In the map”s legend were the symbols foe each group (1-4 floor; 5-8 and so on).
    Does anyone know what software was used ? How can I make such a map ? Any starting points ?
    I know that there is a software that can ”read” the height according to the light/black shade on a orthophotomap.
    Eventually I want to do this map using ArcMap software.
    Thanks

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Height of buildings an a map
    « Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 11:52:39 AM »
    Does anyone know what software was used ? How can I make such a map ? Any starting points ?

In college we did this in Trig class following this procedure here for height of right angle objects such as buildings that arent leaning, and we used a manual adjustment and measurement theodolite which didnt do the math for us and had a plumb line, but gave us our angle: http://www.tiem.utk.edu/~gross/bioed/bealsmodules/triangle.html

I am not aware of any specific software out there, but from a digital image taken from a position and GPS coordinates of the exact location of the picture taken, then gps coordinates of some of the buildings you can get your distance away relative to the objects. Then measure how many degrees your picture was taken in relation to the building. Additionally you need to know the elevation from sea level your picture was taken relative to the building as well.

As far as first floor to 2nd and 3rd floor etc. i would find building plan blue prints that would show the internal construction of the building which is likely not in view from the outside of the building unless the building is made of glass to locate each floor of the building as the side of the building is transparent etc.

Not sure of software used to make these, but I know the manual process of measuring through Trig for height of buildings. If you didnt want to do that math, you can get a newer Theodolite that has a digital read out or plug all values into a spreadsheet and have it solve the height values for you. If you just need one landscape with measurements you could do it all manually and draft it out on a drafting table. CAD might even be able to do this, but I have only used CAD for designing parts like gears etc. Maybe drafting software out there might have this map type your looking for.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Height of buildings an a map
    « Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 02:47:31 PM »
    Nebulous query of the Month Finalist...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "