Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Yet Another ARM / Microsodt Rumor.  (Read 4625 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Yet Another ARM / Microsodt Rumor.
« on: May 03, 2017, 10:02:11 AM »
Again, a rumor that Microsoft is doing software that can run on a ARM  chip and not limited to the x86 Intel chips.
Microsoft's fifth-generation Surface could be ARM-based

Shall I hod my breath?
  :-X

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Yet Another ARM / Microsodt Rumor.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 11:48:44 AM »
Its not impossible for Microsoft to make an OS for ARM. With Windows 8, 8.1, 10 tile desktop I was expecting them to tap into ARM processors, but due to all the ARM processors I have played with dual and quadcores that run 800Mhz to 1.3Ghz it would have to be a very lightweight OS I would think. I cant imagine them porting an x86 or x64 Windows for ARM because I feel that the x86 and x64 OS are coded specifically for processors that can deal with a brunt of processing work. So if they made an ARM OS Windows, it might have tiles for tablets and smart phones but dont expect them to make a ARM to x86 or ARM to x64 emulator to allow x86 or x64 to run on ARM for games and programs for windows. They would have to have this spun off as its own branch of the Microsoft tree.

Apple and Android own a good chunk of the market and unless Microsoft had some powerful wildcard to play that no others can compete with, its sort of too late for them to get in on it now, when they should have gotten onto ARM based processing devices many years sooner.

I kind of like the Android OS and have many devices that are Android. Some I have bought for as little as $4.99 brand new for smart phones and $40 for tablets and they can get online and play games and text and web surf etc. Android being cheap also places Microsoft in between low cost and Apple that is high cost. Personally I wouldnt bet any money on Microsoft doing well with a ARM based OS mainly because its so late in the game.

Maybe if they offered Windows for FREE and a tool to jail break locked android devices to get Windows onto as low as 4GB of internal storage, and then made up for the cost of it all in applications, they could try that. They pretty much would need to slip in somewhere with android to try to steal market share yet also have a secure and reliable and easy to use product and apps that are a must to get people to pay for it all and have some sort of revenue to recover expenses associated with making an ARM OS for these devices.  :-\