Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: P5E-VM HDMI wont allow using sata hdds as AHCI on boot startup  (Read 2891 times)

sirgilmour

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • Learning is the only way
    • www.maxartwurk.com
  • Experience: Experienced
If i change the BIOS option from IDE to AHCI the pc says auto detecting ahci port... and from that point it's adios computer, the bios is not even accessible anymore at that point, the only way to have it back is putting the battery out of the motherboard and waiting the bios to be back at factory settings.

The main reason to want it is that it struggles to play videos either streaming or pre downloaded, the sound usually stutters like *censored* of even make the pc freeze with a lawnmower sound until pressing and holding the power button to put it out of its misery. I have a 2GB graphic card in (zotac geforce GT 630). 8gb of ram ddr2, a Quad CPU Q9400 processor with 2.66ghz, using Windows 7 64bit, and trying Win 10 right now to see if there would be improvement... I would love to be watching videos flawlessly...

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: P5E-VM HDMI wont allow using sata hdds as AHCI on boot startup
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 01:45:28 PM »
Hello, your post is hard to understand.
Have you ever been able to watch videos on this computer without having some kind of issue? Do you have another computer that works better?
It would be helpful if you could supply some more information.What is the make and model of the computer you are using? And what kind of Internet connection do you have?
It seems that you said that even after downloading a video and then you try to play it back you have some difficulty. Is that so?
 with plain graphics cards are able to play television quality movies with a high level of reliability. Therefore your problem seems to be something more than just merely a setting in the BIOS. Many, many users enjoy video on their personal computers without ever having to do anything to the computer.

Please provide additional information.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 01:45:48 PM »
Why are you changing drive modes to begin with ? ?

Also if you installed Win 10 you need to install ALL component drivers for it...

Lastly there ain't much to improve the performance of that vid card...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

sirgilmour

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • www.maxartwurk.com
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 10:36:23 AM »
well now i'm trying to install windows 7 on ahci mode in bios, and it hangs at the starting windows screen

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 10:56:35 AM »

The Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) is a technical standard defined by Intel that specifies the operation of Serial ATA (SATA) host bus adapters in a non-implementation-specific manner.

The specification describes a system memory structure for computer hardware vendors to exchange data between host system memory and attached storage devices. AHCI gives software developers and hardware designers a standard method for detecting, configuring, and programming SATA/AHCI adapters. AHCI is separate from the SATA 3 Gbit/s standard, although it exposes SATA's advanced capabilities (such as hot swapping and native command queuing) such that host systems can utilize them.

As of March 2014, the current version of the specification is 1.3.1.
What is the model number of your computer?

sirgilmour

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • www.maxartwurk.com
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 12:47:43 PM »
I succeeded by deleting the whole disk with diskpart and this tutorial : http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/258159-32-solved-hangs-auto-detect-ahci-drive-help
It was on a 80gb test hdd but the one i would like to have windows 7 on has also a partition i would not want to lose with a lot of personnal stuff so i dont think diskpart could help this 500gb drive unless i put all its content on some other hdd on it...
Bummer

But i also wonder if the video issue would resolve at some point, I also have a similar issue on a laptop with 8gb ram on it , a HP Probook 4710s, after installing all the windows 7 updates , the pc will not be able to play a single youtube video on chrome without stuttering with annoying crackling noises during playback.

I really wonder what could make such decent pcs not able to do the the simplest task normally

sirgilmour

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • www.maxartwurk.com
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 12:52:25 PM »
ah... nope, windows 7 fully installed and froze the second the desktop appeared and since rebooting is stucked at the starting windows logo.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 01:13:15 PM »
You gettin these HDD's from a junkyard ? ?

All you need to do is install via IDE mode...and even at that it wouldn't have a thing to do with the video issues.

As to your other part about data on another partition a Win install doesn't touch other partitions if done proper....

According to your prior posts this video and sound issue has been around awhile...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "