Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Finding files  (Read 4449 times)

PhilClark

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Finding files
« on: May 09, 2017, 04:58:03 AM »
Maybe this has been answered elsewhere, but I have not been able to find a solution .......

I am using Windows 7 and I cannot find how I search for files on the computer.   It used to be so easy with XP and even Vista but with W7 I cannot find a link for doing this.   Can anyone help please?

Many thanks in advance.

Hackoo

Hopeful
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Finding files
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 04:02:37 PM »
What kind of files did you want to search by extenstion or by name ?
Please, give more information about your request !

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 04:20:11 PM »
The older Search feature was moved into Windows Explorer itself, you can find the search bar in the upper right- it is a textbox with a magnifying glass on the right side. You effectively use My Computer or another mechanism so you are looking at the folder you want to search, and then you can type what you are looking for there.

If you are open to alternatives, an excellent File Search tool is called "Everything" by Voidtools. it can be found for download here. It provides a much more straightforward interface that will likely be more familiar to the older "Find Files" tool in XP and earlier; and it is blazingly fast- I can find some file I remember having somewhere on all of my 3 hard drives within a few seconds. The only limitation is that it can only search based on the filename, so if you are searching for that document where you remember using a certain phrase in it won't be very helpful.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 04:23:29 PM »
Or from the start menu you simply just type into the bottom box/menu...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Hackoo

Hopeful
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 04:28:00 PM »
FileSearchy is a quick, powerful and easy to use utility to search files on your computer.
It provides real-time search by file name. Unlike other search tools with instant file search, it also allows searching by content string, date and size.
FileSearchy supports many popular formats and highlights found text in file name and contents.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 03:02:52 AM »
Agent Ransack is another full featured GUI search tool for Windows. And it's free.