Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Each Command in Batch Suddenly Requires a Response - No longer runs on it's own  (Read 3382 times)

Kapstew

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
    I'm having an unusual problem that's happening on only one computer where I have the same batch program running on 200 systems or more.  What is happening is that the DOS console is opening when the batch is initialized but I don't see the commands displayed like would they would normally.  The cursor is just sitting there.  I decided to hit the Enter key and the first command in the batch executed.  Then, each time I hit the Enter key, another command executes until it runs through the whole batch file. 

Wait...  I have another program running on this computer (not mine), a C# program for video recording that writes what it's doing to the console.  The same thing is happening.  The console opens and the cursor just sits there.  I can start clicking the Enter key and the program will step through each command and display a new line in the console each time.   

This was happening intermittently and is now happening every time.

Other programs on this system that do not use the DOS console seem to run normally.

I've done a system restore and have asked all my friends but they quickly develop itchy scalps..   Does any one have an idea about what might be causing this behavior?   

Thanks for any clues!!   
    Kevin Stewart

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Check in the Command Prompt's Properties and make sure QuickEdit mode is disabled. If so you'll want to change the default settings to disable it as well.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Kapstew

Topic Starter

Rookie

Yes, I'd checked that.  It's not enabled...  :(   Thank you.
      Kevin Stewart

Salmon Trout

Check if Insert Mode is enabled also. If either one or both of QuickEdit Mode or Insert Mode is enabled, and you click within the console, it will pause the output.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 12:38:17 PM by Salmon Trout »

Kapstew

Topic Starter

Rookie

I disabled the insert mode and the first time I ran the batch it ran all the way through.  The very next time the same behavior was back.  Sigh...  Thank you!
        Kevin Stewart