Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What makes a speaker louder? The Watts? Or the mm Input? Or???  (Read 10273 times)

Adela

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    [Dell Desktop; Win10; Firefox Browser; WLMail]

I'm trying to buy a speaker for my computer that's a little louder than the I have (which stopped working).  What I have is a: Logitech Z130 with Watt RMS 5W and 3.5mm Input 1. 

I don't know which of these measurements makes the speaker louder.  Could someone let me know please so I can buy something louder than I have?

Thanks ever so much for your help.   :)

Salmon Trout

Re: What makes a speaker louder? The Watts? Or the mm Input? Or???
    « Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 03:38:35 PM »
    RMS Watts. The more the better.

Adela

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 08:26:45 PM »
      Thank you.  So, for a computer where the speakers would be next to me, if my present speaker is 5 Watts, should I try to get 7 or 8 Watts?  Or should I double the 5 Watts?  Of course I don't want to blast my head and my neighbors' with a too loud speaker.   ;)

Will appreciate further help.  Thanx again!   

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 12:54:22 AM »
      To sound noticeably louder you probably need twice the watts at least. As for the neighbours, you do know what a volume control is?

Adela

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 06:39:56 AM »
        I will now know what to look for.  Thank you so very much!     

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 09:11:27 AM »
        Also a larger size speaker is better.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 09:21:18 AM »
        You can go to http://Amazon.com and search for PC Speakers.

For about $40 and deliver 120 watts.
        The woofer makes it sound louder.

Adela

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 08:51:52 PM »
          Also a larger size speaker is better.

Yes, I think you're right, around a double wattage, or 10W, should be amply loud compared to what I have.  The problem is finding it.  Today I went to a very large store that had mostly large speakers.  One pair though it appealed to me as they were flat, small, approx. each one of the size of a smartphone!  But the salesperson didn't know what wattage it was.  I'll have to return and get this info from someone else there.

Again, thanks so much!   

Adela

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 08:58:32 PM »
            You can go to http://Amazon.com and search for PC Speakers.

For about $40 and deliver 120 watts.
            The woofer makes it sound louder. 

Thank you Geek, but I need a smaller speaker and smaller sound.  I think doubling my speaker wattage will be perfect for my needs.  I shall try Amazon to see if they have what I need.  Thanks again.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 09:03:01 PM »
            With todays tech they have no need to be big...My Bose stereo speakers are tiny...and can handle a full stereo setup.
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Adela

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 09:39:54 PM »
              With todays tech they have no need to be big...My Bose stereo speakers are tiny...and can handle a full stereo setup. 

Oh thank you so much Patio!  Now I can't wait until tomorrow and see if I can find a nice small pair at about 10 or so watts.   :)

camerongray

Expert
                • Yes
                • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
              • Certifications: List
              • Computer: Specs
              • Experience: Expert
              « Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 04:50:20 PM »
              When buying speakers I'd try to focus on decent brands and proper reviews that test them against other speakers rather than just relying on reviews from people on sites like Amazon.  The wattage rating does roughly relate to how loud it would be but I'd never focus on it, you can get high wattage speakers that sound terrible.  How good a piece of audio hardware is really can't be judged from the specs alone, you really need to either hear it for yourself or failing that, find a test done by an audio expert.

Manufacturers of cheaper speakers tend to also have a tendency to state ridiculous wattage numbers that the speakers have no chance of reaching. If you are looking at wattage, you should be looking at the "RMS" wattage and ignore anything that says things like "Peak" or "PMPO".

Adela

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2017, 06:10:21 PM »
                When buying speakers I'd try to focus on decent brands and proper reviews that test them against other speakers rather than just relying on reviews from people on sites like Amazon.  The wattage rating does roughly relate to how loud it would be but I'd never focus on it, you can get high wattage speakers that sound terrible.  How good a piece of audio hardware is really can't be judged from the specs alone, you really need to either hear it for yourself or failing that, find a test done by an audio expert.

Manufacturers of cheaper speakers tend to also have a tendency to state ridiculous wattage numbers that the speakers have no chance of reaching. If you are looking at wattage, you should be looking at the "RMS" wattage and ignore anything that says things like "Peak" or "PMPO".   

Thank you so much!  I'll be sure to find out if the wattage they tell me or is indicated on the speaker is only "RMS".  I figure since my present speaker is 5 RMS Watts and it's kind of sufficient, then if I double the wattage it may be perfect, no?  I also hope to get one with USB rather than power cord.  Brand names would probably be too expensive (for me anyway), but I have the Logitech, is this a good brand?  I'll now search the internet for it.  Wish me luck lol!  Thanks again!       Adela

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                « Reply #13 on: May 18, 2017, 06:37:16 PM »
                You really wanna select A/C powered speakers as opposed to USB...
                " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Adela

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2017, 09:40:16 AM »
                  You really wanna select A/C powered speakers as opposed to USB... 

Why?  I thought it would be great not to deal with electric wires of which I'm running out of outlets...

P.S.  I love your proverb... :)