Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't print (or ping)  (Read 2853 times)

quest94

Topic Starter

• Experience: Expert
    Can't print (or ping)
    « on: May 16, 2017, 05:55:29 PM »
    Hi All,
    Sounds like a common problem, but not so in my case, but here it goes.

1.  Configuration:  Epson WF-3640 plugged into router (previously wifi connected).

2.  Acer laptop, (upgraded to WIN-10) long time working with this printer now can't talk to the printer via wifi (only via USB cable).  Because other devices can still use the printer via the network, I know it must be a laptop problem.

3.  Additional info:  Acer-Lap doesn't get a response by pinging the printer, other devices do.  I changed the printer IP and the Acer still can't ping the new ip.  I turned off Windows firewall with no change.

Someone thought I should try to ARP the printer, but I haven't figured that out yet.  Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: Can't print (or ping)
    « Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 08:13:35 PM »
    No, it won't work and you won't know why.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Address_Resolution_Protocol
    Your laptop Wi-Fi device is failing.
    To verify this, disable the on-board device and try a USB  device. You can get a cheap USB WI-Fi adapter almost anywhere. Try Walmart.
    Cheap and Good WI-Fi stick from Walmart
    Photo:

You should have one of these in your tool kit.  8)

EDIT: There is a another reason for the failure. A security update may have made the printer unreachable by the updated on-board device.  I will let somebody else try to help you resolve this. Otherwise, use a cheap adapter that doesn't care.

quest94

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 01:33:46 AM »
      Problem resolved.

Restatement of problem.  Only 1 device of several unable to print to, or ping a long existing network printer.

Geek-9pm's suggestion to use a different wifi connection was a good troubleshooting suggestion.  (Goal is to break to chain somewhere to "half-step" the problem.)  I didn't think the internal wifi was bad because internet browsing was 100%.  Only unable to print.

1.  I tried a cable network connection.  (didn't work, turned into a long ordeal of unrelated problem).
      2.  Tried to uninstall printer software. (not in program list).  Planned to re-install printer software.
      3.  Remembered printer has had a static IP address for many years.  I changed it back to DHCP.
      4.  Deleted and reinstalled printer.  JOY - after several weeks, I am printing again.

Thanks for reading.

r/Todd

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 09:24:46 AM »
      Glad you got it. As you said: