Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: It says "driver installation failed could not find the device for this driver"  (Read 6640 times)

johnnyr860

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    Hello everyone. Hope you are all doing good today and able to beat the heat on this very hot day. I have this really old laptop HP Pavillion dv6000. Originally it came with Windows Vista installed back when Windows Vista was first released but eventually I upgraded the laptop to Windows 7. Everything was fine and working until recently where the laptop has no sound. I try to install the sound driver from the HP website and it says "driver installation failed: could not find the device for this driver."

No matter what I do I cannot get sound on this laptop. If I go to YouTube and watch a video the video plays just fine but with no sound. When I click on the sound icon next to the time on the desktop bar a window pops up that says "troubleshooting has completed" Problems found: "Hardware changes might not have been detected." I am not sure what is up with this or how to fix it but any help is appreciated thanks.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    A Vista laptop likely doesn't have Win7 drivers written...try re-installing the originals from the Driver CD and reboot...

Plus it's likely you are trying nVidia or AMD drivers gettin it to work which is a no-no on a laptop....
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

johnnyr860

Topic Starter

Rookie

That is just it we don't have the original CD's that came with the laptop that is how old it is. We got it when windows Vista first came out. When we upgraded to Windows 7 afterwards we did not have any problems with the laptop or sound until just now. It's an HP laptop but I can't get the sound drivers to download even though I got them from the HP website and I selected windows Vista as my original OS.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      Select Win7 drivers...if they are available...

johnnyr860

Topic Starter

Rookie

I tried that too and that did not work. I get the same error message whether I try to install windows vista sound driver or windows 7.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        You sure you have the Model # info correct @ the HP site ? ?

johnnyr860

Topic Starter

Rookie

When I go to the HP website and type in the serial number that is  under my laptop it shows HP Pavillion dv6646us as the model that comes up which is not correct because my laptop is model HP Pavillion dv6000. I even tried using the product number instead instead of the serial number and still I get this dv6646us not dv6000. If I click on choose a different product it just takes me back to the previous screen where I have to enter my serial or product number again.