Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Retrieve data from a almost falling harddisk  (Read 3105 times)

xchiazyx

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Expert
    Retrieve data from a almost falling harddisk
    « on: May 20, 2017, 11:51:51 AM »
    Hi All,

Good Day.

I have a user which the hard disk is falling and data have been backup but left the most important pst file that can't be backed.

I had tried to use Scanpst to repair and get "An unexpected error prevented access to this file. I also use a disk error-checking program to check the disk.

Thus I use chkdsk /r and /f, during the command run I get this "The disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters", the disk have more than enough space and after then I had try pst repair also same.

Like to check if 3rd party software like HDD Regenerator can repair or any other free software that if recommended.

Would like to check if anyone has this experience or knowledge can assist me on.

Currently, the hard disk is plugged into a cloning device with USB plug to pc.

Many Thanks!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: Retrieve data from a almost falling harddisk
    « Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 04:04:17 PM »
    You can send the HDD to a forensic data recovery service.
    This not a recommendation.
    Look here:
    https://www.securedatarecovery.com/services/forensics
    They offer a short video and they have an 800 number.

Or just Google for:
    HDD recovery service.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=HDD+recovery+service.&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 04:08:54 PM »
    So its connected as an external hard drive then.... you should be able to just copy the PST file across from the drive acting as an external to this other healthy computer hard drive. However; if data that is damaged on this drive is a part of the composition of this PST file you can run into problems.

Software I have used for data recovery is not free but it works to get most of the data back. No guarantee that this PST file isnt damaged beyond repair. I own a licensed copy of GetDataBack NTFS. This has been pretty successful at getting clients data back, however if the data is located in a damaged portion of the drive, the data could be damaged beyond repair.

https://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

*Note: The demo will show proof that it can find files, but in order to get this software to allow copying of the data from damaged drive to healthy drive they want you to pay for it.  :-\   Charging people for data recovery and using this software with a spare computer, I was able to make my money back and a small profit using this software, but I have never gotten 100% of everyones data back with it usually about 95% of it but the data that is located in physically damaged areas of the drive is trashed. What is impressive is that a hard drive that had the clunk of death, this software was able to gather the data as the heads sweeped the drive during the clunk of death and it was able to reconstruct the data on a healthy hard drive. It took almost a week of this running to get the data back from the drive with the clunk of death.

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 05:59:35 AM »
    Here is the info they posted at the other thread that was closed on this subject because it was duplicate, however some additional info they shared here so i quoted it for them here:

Hi All,

Good Day.

I have a user which hard disk falling soon, and I have backed the data, but however the pst is error opening and SCANPST can't repair it, during the file consistency check it failed and get "An unexpected error prevented access to this file. Use a disk error checking program to check the disk". I did disk error check and didnt find any, and also chkdsk /r and /f. Does anyone here have any way to repair the pst which the old harddisk caused some part of pst damaged, appreciate if any expert here can advise me.

* Windows 10 64 bits with outlook 2007
    * Best if free software that can repair.

Many Thanks!
    As copy/pasted from: https://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,160879.0/topicseen.html

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 06:06:03 AM »
    Thanx for the paste Dave...

Meant to merge the Topics.

patio.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

xchiazyx

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 10:24:07 AM »
      Thank all for the kind support

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 08:18:11 PM »
      Thats a really weak SPAM attempt...Link removed.

patio.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

camerongray

Expert
        • Yes
        • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
      « Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 03:10:06 AM »
      Thats a really weak SPAM attempt...Link removed.

patio.

Just FYI, there is still a link in their profile