Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 10 keeps freezing during shutdowns, startups and update installations  (Read 6267 times)

Tisch

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Hello!

A family member of mine have a PC that ran Windows 10 fine for about 1 year. Last week a reboot was done through Avast and it got stuck at preparing Windows and was stuck for 12 hours before I did a hard reset.
After that hard reset I only got a black screen and I tried every repair option as well as a repair install through Windows 10 1607 installation USB drive with no luck. So I did a clean install of Windows 10 1607 and everything worked fine.
The next day it did a reboot and got stuck at 30% for 15 hours before it got shut down. After that it wasn't started until yesterday and another clean install of Windows 10 1703 which failed with the black screen.
I then installed Windows 10 1607 and tried to upgrade to 1703 and that gave the same result. So I did another clean install of Windows 10 1607 and it worked fine for 10 minutes. Then it got stuck at the shutdown screen.
After this multiple reinstalls and repair installs of Windows 10 1607 have been made and it keeps freezing at screens like preparing windows, installing updates (x %), shutdown, restarting and the login screen but never inside Windows. During these safe mode works but not safe mode with networking.
I've also tried removing and replacing RAM as well as trying a spare RAM stick with no luck. The last time it got stuck at preparing Windows after a clean install of Windows 10 1607 and installing updates. Nothing else has been installed. The SSD used is a Kingston SSDNow uv400 120GB that was bought yesterday.
It has been checked with Kingstons software, Crystal Disk Mark and chkdsk and it's 100% healthy. I tried installing Windows 10 1607 from the same USB on the SSD while connected to a newer PC I know is working and that worked fine so I think it's either driver or hardware related.
I also ran Memtest86 v4.3.7 for over 1 hour with no errors. During the last Windows 10 installation only the minimal hardware was connected such as mobo, CPU, 1 stick RAM, SSD, GPU and PSU. The USB was inserted in a slot on the mobo itself and not the front panel.

It's an old PC with a few cheap upgrades:
Mobo: Packard Bell ixtreme m5140
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1035T
RAM: 3 x 2GB
GPU: Asus GTX 750Ti
PSU: EVGA 600B
SSD: Kingston SSDNow UV400 120GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB

The GPU and PSU was bought about 2 months ago and the SSD as well as the HDD was bought yesterday. So the problems started on the old HDD and were still there on the new SSD.

At this point I'm out of ideas. What should I do now?

Thanks in advance!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
Le's make this simple
The SSD is not the problem.
But to make things easy, do the install without the SSD. change that later..
Check the BIOS and see when it was created.
You said 'old HDD'. Sso the Segregate Barracuda 1TB is a new drive?

Install Windows 10 again and create  a small partition. About 24 Gigabyte is enough to install windows. Later you can use more of the drive later. But for now, a small partition is easy and quick and side steps a possible hard drive issue.

And it should  take hours to install Windows 10.

Tip: If the computer seems to be stuck, try the cap lock o r Num lock keys. If you get them to change, the system is working. But it the keyboard lights stop responding, the thing is stuck.

EDIT: Please explain:
It's an old PC with a few cheap upgrades:
Mobo: Packard Bell ixtreme m5140
How old? Did it come with Windows 10?
What kind and size of HDD did it once have?

« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 07:47:20 PM by Geek-9pm »

Tisch

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
Hello!

Thanks for the quick reply. It was built by Packard Bell in 2010 so it's 7 years old. It came with a 1.5TB WD drive and the Seagate one was bought at the same time as the SSD because the WD one got really slow and after doing the scans on it I found out that it isn't healthy anymore. The PC came with Windows 7 and after swapping parts with one of my old PCs it looks like it's a problem with the drivers.

I'll try what you said but if it doesn't work I'll probably go back to Windows 7 and see if that works. I'd like to keep trying to find the problem but at this point he just want a working PC and therefore we've decided to test Windows 7 again if what you said doesn't work. I'll get back here with the results later.

Thanks again!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
OK, that helps.
I can not find that model number.
This is a Desktop, - Right?
Can you check  again and provide the model number of the computer, nut just the m0therboard.
It is possible you have an issue with the chip set. Things do wear out. The chipset may have a defect or flaw that was late to shew up.
The resewn for making a small partition is to side step three possible issues.
1. Part of the HDD may have been damage, a small partition might avoid the damaged area.
2.  Install to a large partition takes much longer and raises the temperature of the inside of the PC. Hear might be an issue.
3. It is a good practice to dived a large drive into partitions on a personal computer.

If the install fails even on a small partition, then you may have to buy or borrow a PCI card with a SATA controller. But don't buy anything till that becomes the last resort.

Tisch

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
The full name of the desktop is Packard Bell iXtreme A8583 NCD
I tried installing Windows 10 on that SSD in another PC that I know works with Windows 10 and it worked fine there. I then connected it to the PC with issues and planned to reinstall on it again but failed to press F12 in time to change boot option. When it booted up it worked a while to make that installation be usable in that PC instead and it did, however, after doing a restart it once again got stuck at the login screen.
I also tried what you mentioned on the HDD with a small portion and the same thing happened after the first restart. Also, I pressed caps- and numlock and the lights didn't change so it's completely frozen.
I'll try Windows 7 next to see what happens.

Thanks again!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
That does help.  :)
This link  claims to have drivers needed for that machine to run on Windows 1-0.
http://www.driverscape.com/manufacturers/packard+bell/laptops-desktops/ixtreme-x8500-ncd/77015

Tisch

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
I've installed Windows 7 now and everything works fine :) I'll probably just run Windows 7 until I can upgrade the mobo, CPU and RAM to a setup that has drivers for Windows 10.

Thanks for the help!