Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Includes FREE Power On Self Tester ... Anyone know what this is?  (Read 13966 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Just bought this power supply because my newest gaming systems Thermaltake 550 watt PSU died after 7 years of reliable use with a weak 5 volt rail.

Was wondering if anyone knows what this FREE Power on Self Tester is for power supply linked below?

I didnt see any pictures of any device that came along with this to test power supply as well as ..... why would you need a Free Power On Self Tester for a new power supply which would operate fine new out of box... so its an odd inclusion.

Whether it comes with this free tester or not, it seemed like a good deal for the price sticking to the $50 budget I wanted to stick with. Only tester I have seen before is a jumper to make power supplies run stand alone which I have just used a paperclip before to power a PC power supply stand alone.  :-\

EVGA 600 B1 100-B1-0600-KR 80+ BRONZE 600W Includes FREE Power On Self Tester Power Supply

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438014

I was also looking at a Corsair Power Supply, but this one I got because it was 600 watts, slightly cheaper, and has a $5 rebate, so maybe it will cost me $45 after $5 rebate reimbursement. I trust both brands and buy other PC parts from those brands as well.

I saw a PC Power supply also with a 12 year Warranty as seen here at link below and that struck me as odd.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151162&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=PPSSGUMJTGMIDO-_-17-151-162-_-Product

Its good that their quality can be backed by 12 year warranty, but in all actuality for my main gaming systems I only get about 5 years out of them before they become obsolete to newer hardware needs etc. I have a stack of obsolete and lighter weight power supplies dating back 15 years that only have 20 pin vs 24 pin, or single 12v molex only for CPU power, as well as some that dont have SATA power and so the P to SATA adapters could be used to use with SATA drive, then some newer ones have a 4 pin and a 6 pin molex for older video cards that match up to that, then my GeForce GTX 260 superclocked 216 core requires 2 x 6 pin molex but by which my Geforce GTX 780 ti requires a 6 and 8 pin 12volt molex and I had to use an adapter to turn a 6 pin into 8 pin to match up to all the 12 volt tap needs for the video card. In another couple years video cards may change yet again to direct power tap needs and then the power supply that I just bought is once again part of planned obsolescence.

I guess if your building a computer that you plan to use for the next 12 years with free power supply replacements if the power supply dies it might be something to invest in. But most computer users dont keep the same computer around for 12 years, especially a gamer who has to keep up with the times in order to run the latest games at best performance in which I see maybe 3 to 6 years of use out of this power supply before they have to move on to a newer more modern power supply due to ever changing video card power connection requirements, as well as the motherboard power connection could also evolve into a different power configuration from the current 24-pin as well as the CPU 12v direct power tap can also evolve.  :-\

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
Re: Includes FREE Power On Self Tester ... Anyone know what this is?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 12:29:29 PM »
PC Power supply also with a 12 year Warranty
That is unheard of.   :o
Five, seven and maybe 10 years. But 12 is near infinity for the PC industry.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 11:49:29 AM »
A PSU testing adapter plug into the motherboard power adapter and turns on the PSU when you connect it to the AC. I think it's a bit like the paperclip test.

Video here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rucfmsGjPow

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 01:50:49 PM »
Ok cool. Thanks for finding that. Surprised the answer was on YouTube.