Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Microsoft Clean Windows 7 Install - After update Microsoft Support Scare Tactic  (Read 3288 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
So I installed Windows 7 Home 64-bit clean to my one system that needed a clean install after 3 years of use in which it started to have some issues after games installed and uninstalled etc. Upon install after activating Windows 7 online, it performed a few updates and then I was greeted with this screen attached after reboot of first batch of updates. The way that it is worded it can be misinterpreted as Windows 7 no longer supported and its best to upgrade to Windows 10 with a line as strong as "You are no longer receiving Windows Update security fixes that can help protect your PC from harmful viruses, spyware, and other malicious software." with the message stating as quoted below in full. To the lower left you can see the option to tell it to manually update to Service Pack 1 in which Windows 7 would not be out of date and a 190 updates await you after going this route vs venturing on to upgrading to Windows 10 through pressure/scare tactics. They are bending the english here with "Your PC is running an outdated version of Windows 7". As for yes its outdated because its SP 0, but by which after installing SP1 it is still supported until 2020 as per. Microsoft ended mainstream support for Windows 7 on January 13, 2015, but extended support won't end until January 14, 2020. And after fully patched its secure still.  ::)

SORRY to Interrupt, but this is important.

Your PC is running an outdated version of Windows 7.

You are no longer receiving Windows Update security fixes that can help protect your PC from harmful viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. Microsoft recommends upgrading to Windows 10 for the latest security features and protection against malware.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
The supposition is probably that somebody still running a version of Windows 7 that hasn't received security updates since 2013 is probably easier to encourage to switch to Windows 10 because they probably aren't particularly Computer Savvy.

I don't think it's a problem myself as it does still allow you to install SP1. If there was no way to install SP1 or saying "remind me later" meant that it automatically installed Windows 10 later, well, that would be another story but that isn't how it works as far as I'm aware.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Borderlord

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Hi Dave

Recently had a new Windows 7 installed. I did not get the message you did, but when I turned the machine off, it told me I have 198 updates to be installed.
    Can I assume I will not have an issue at least until 2020?
    Other than that, I also have an issue with my e-mail account. Where would be the right place to post a question about that?

Thanks

Jeff

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
    Can I assume I will not have an issue at least until 2020?

Issues can always happen. As OS ages and new flaws found, if the flaws arent patched then, your susceptible to whatever exploit or flaw. Never any guarantee in anything not having issues, time will tell I suppose.  :)

Other than that, I also have an issue with my e-mail account. Where would be the right place to post a question about that?

More info would be helpful on this matter. Who is the e-mail service through and what problems are you having? Does this problem only happen on this one computer or on others as well to where its an account issue?  :-\

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    For what it s worth... A number of credible web sites are saying, in effect, Microsoft wants to ditch Windows 7 for the wrong reasons. It is not because of some flaw in the Windows 7 design. It is about what Microsoft wants to do.

Here are  some links that, IMO, imply that idea.
    http://www.infoworld.com/article/3153213/microsoft-windows/how-to-hang-on-to-windows-7-for-the-long-run.html
    If Windows 7 represents peak Windows for you, you’re not alone. Twice as many people use Win7 as use Win10, even after 18 months of Microsoft pressure to get you to give up Win7 and jump to the shiny new version as your operating system of choice.

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/windows-7-update-not-working-hangs-at-checking-for-updates-solved/
    This problem has been bugging a lot of Windows 7 users for a very long time, and users are still complaining about Microsoft not solving it today: users cannot go pass the Checking for updates window and go into the Downloading updates part. In this case, it becomes impossible for Windows 7 users to update the newly released update packs or patches from Windows, which could be a severe risk if the released pack is vital to certain bugs.

http://bgr.com/2017/01/18/windows-10-upgrade-7-security/
    In a new blog post by Microsoft Germany, the company warns users that keeping an iron grip on Windows 7 is a really bad idea. Windows boss Markus Nitschke suggests that the aging operating system “does not meet the requirements of modern technology, nor the high security requirements of IT departments,” adding “With Windows 10, we offer our customers the highest level of security and functionality.”

https://www.lifewire.com/patch-tuesday-2625783
    by Tim Fisher
    Updated March 23, 2017

A patch, sometimes just called a fix, is a small piece of software that's used to correct a problem, usually called a bug, within an operating system or software program.

No software program is perfect and so patches are common, even years after a program has been released. The more popular a program is, the more likely rare problems occur, and so some of the most popular programs in existence are some of the most-patched.
    A collection of usually already-released patches is often called a service pack.

The link below claims that the Windows 7 updates does harm to your e-mail.
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Fixes-or-workarounds-for-recent-issues-in-Outlook-for-Windows-ecf61305-f84f-4e13-bb73-95a214ac1230
    Fixes or workarounds for recent issues in Outlook for Windows
    Applies To: Outlook 2016 Outlook 2013
    Last updated: June, 5 2017
    But it is not clear if it was the Windows 7 update is related.