Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Google: Pay Attention to Older People.  (Read 4955 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Google: Pay Attention to Older People.
« on: May 29, 2017, 11:11:56 AM »
This rank is directed to Google and the others who ignore the needs of older people.

Among older people, some 7 % or more have some kind of vision problem. that can not be correlated with eye-glasses.  It is hard for use to use the internet when the text is no big and clear. Yet advertisers continue to use techniques  tantamount to fraud by making it hard for normal people to understand something. With a vision problem, it is very hard to see an advertiser is trying to trick you.

I do not know if this all comes from Google or the whole industry. More and more it is becoming harder to read web pages. My doctor says my vision is the same. I go to a page to read something and the page stops loading and a big video plops over the headline I am trying to read. Is I scroll down, it follows me down the page.

Other tricks are  the Google ads that insert themselves in a text I need tread. My only defense is to use a feature in Firefox that purgers the ads.

Bu the way, Why can't Chrome run in XP? Other lessor companies have no trouble using XP. What is wrong with Google Chrome? Are you too busy to address the needs  of a small group of us that need XP  because it is easier  to use?

I put this here because trying to communicate with you is frustrating. So I vent my frustration here, on a public forum. Please do not ignore older people. Everybody grows old. You will too.  :)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Google: Pay Attention to Older People.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 12:11:01 PM »
Does increasing text size/scaling in a browser window not work? I'd expect that if image-based ads remained the same size, that would make them easier to ignore, wouldn't it?

As far as the web is concerned, it becoming harder to use is not limited to those with poor vision. I'd argue that it's a larger-scale issue where web designs have moved from serving the interest of the browser/viewer to serving the interests of advertisers and what makes the site the most money.

You mentioned videos, for example.  There are a few sites where I've found articles and tried to read them. And an automatically playing video appears in the lower-right.

Worse still, while you can pause the video, it will automatically start playing again in 30 seconds. Who thought of that crap? I don't want it to autoplay and I don't want it to start playing again in 30 seconds when I stop it. That doesn't even make sense. It's clearly geared not towards giving a pleasant user experience but making sure to crank up the number of views on the video to make advertisers happy.

Bu the way, Why can't Chrome run in XP? Other lessor companies have no trouble using XP. What is wrong with Google Chrome? Are you too busy to address the needs  of a small group of us that need XP  because it is easier  to use?

Windows XP is currently twice as old as Windows 3.1 was when Windows XP was released. Current versions of Firefox don't support Windows XP either. Supporting Windows XP means more testing, certain features either cannot be used or must be conditional. Every new feature, update, or even bugfix ideally needs to be tested on all supported platforms.

More trivial applications are easy to have support older platforms. There is far less conditional logic, and adding older platforms doesn't add much time when testing. But for larger applications (And browsers definitely qualify) verification and testing is a time-sink, one which must be repeated (or at least should be repeated) on all supported platforms, and on various supported configurations- for example it's arguable that iit's not enough to test on Windows 7 and Windows 8 for Windows 7 and 8 support- it has to be tested on both platforms on a number of different DPI settings, with multiple monitors, lower and higher resolutions, and so on and so forth.

Supporting a platform without good reason is throwing time and money down a hole. It just doesn't make sense to reach back to Windows XP for that testing unless there is a very, very, very good reason. Chrome and Firefox running on Windows XP would be like MS Office 2000 supporting MS-DOS!
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 07:58:16 PM »
Your arguments are sound.   :(

Allow a metaphor.
Not really a good metaphor.
Think about automobiles and Older people. Many older people prefer a newer car if it is comfortable, safe and easy to drive. The steering wheel is in the same place. The  instrument panel is about the same.  Often still analog, or looks like analog.
In fact, many will admit that the older car they left was not as easy and safe.

Windows XP started  August 24, 2001. So it is over 16 years old.
The average age of Automobiles is about 11 or 12 years.
Why does software age faster than [automobile] hardware?

https://mygaming.co.za/news/pc/116211-this-is-how-many-people-are-still-using-windows-xp.html
windows-10   
Microsoft wants older versions of Windows dragged and dropped into the recycle bin, with relatively-recent iterations like Windows 7 not exempt from the drive.
Microsoft has told Windows Vista users that the operating system will reach its end of support on 11 April 2017, and will no longer receive security and other updates.

The above link goes on to state that Windows 7  has a 48 % market share and Windows 10 has about 25%. But Windows  XP at about  t 8.5% is above Windows 8.1 at just under 7%.

So if market share means anything,  just imagine Microsoft  dropping Windows 8.1 because of its poor market share. Now if I were a developer, but I am not, I would think more about giving support to the XP users rather than the Windows 8.1 users.

Going further with that kind of thinking, Microsoft should cut back on Windows 10 development until more people show an interest in it. Windows 7 is the current leader.

As for Vista, yeah, they had to drop it. Hasta la vista, Vista.

After almost two years, I still have a hard time with Windows 10 and I get an upset stomach trhying to tolerate its unfriendly desktop.   :'(

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 08:07:49 PM »
Not sure where your gettin your market share specs from....

It's likely PCMag though which you are prone to quote ad naseum in the News section...

They stopped bein a relevant source approx 20 years ago...give it up,
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 08:21:32 PM »
Patio, these numbers are dated. Sorry.  :-[
This looks to be more up to date and agrees with other publishedn data.
https://www.neowin.net/news/windows-xps-market-share-takes-another-hit-as-windows-7-and-10-rise
By Usama Jawad · Apr 1, 2017
Last month, we learned that Windows 10 commanded a market share of 25.19%. The latest statistical report from NetMarketShare reveals that the operating system has now grown in market share along with Windows 7, while Windows XP has taken another hit.
Then it goes on to say:
Thankfully, Microsoft's now ancient operating system, Windows XP, has faced a decline in market share for the second consecutive month; it currently sits at 7.44%. On the other hand, Windows 8.1's market share has also decreased to 6.66%.
Why does she think that is good? It could mean 7% of the marker just can not use Windows 10 and never will.
Surprisingly, "Mac OS X" 10.12 has continued its impressive rise and now sports a market share of 3.22%. The "Others" section has declined to 7.90% - compared to 8.17% in the previous month.
Mayne I should try Apple OS ten   - I mean OS X.  :)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 09:42:50 PM »
a small group of us that need XP  because it is easier  to use?
I didn't actually mention this from the OP because it wasn't really your main point.

What about Windows XP makes it easier to use? Later versions of Windows do not lack any of the accessibility features, so I am left to conclude that it is easier to use simply because you don't have to learn to use it. I certainly hope the suggestion is not that those of an advanced age are incapable of learning! Otherwise it seems like using XP is a choice rather than a need.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 02:52:03 AM »
I certainly hope the suggestion is not that those of an advanced age are incapable of learning!
I don't know if counts as "coming out" about my age, but I am now 65, and it really pisses me off when people assume that because I am at retirement age I am an IT nincompoop. I call it "youngsplaining" (by analogy with mansplaining) e.g. when they tell me what Python or Linux are (and get it wrong). By the way, if text is too small, perhaps because I am too idle to clean my eyeglasses, I just hold down Ctrl and tap the + key on the numeric keypad (works for most browsers and all my favourite editors).

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 04:40:16 AM »
I've found a lot of younger people who are completely incompetent when it comes to tech. At least with older less young people who weren't interested or exposed to technology, they generally say as much; meanwhile some younger people who grew up with the tech seem to think they are experts because of that. I'm sorry but no I don't think you should start a PC repair business because you are "good at installing apps". Nor can I "put in a good word for you" because you learned how to use "Fill Down" in Excel.

I can only imagine some of the results of the new generation of the non-technically inclined thinking they are IT experts. However I would not be surprised to see them pull out a Woodwind Recorder during a C# Interview.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2017, 03:50:57 PM »
I didn't actually mention this from the OP because it wasn't really your main point.

What about Windows XP makes it easier to use? Later versions of Windows do not lack any of the accessibility features, so I am left to conclude that it is easier to use simply because you don't have to learn to use it. I certainly hope the suggestion is not that those of an advanced age are incapable of learning! Otherwise it seems like using XP is a choice rather than a need.
Later versions of Windows do not lack any of the accessibility features,
Really? Are you sure? Many vision impaired people have to fin-tune colors and font and contrast personally. The is no on-size-fits-all or anything even close. It looks like Microsoft  got rid of the people  that did accessibility for Windows XP.
Where are these features now?
1.  How do I enlarge the mouse mouse pointer?
2. How do I find the find the mouse pointer?  Hold the ctrl key? No.
3. How to I adjust font ans size of icon  titles?
4. How do I choose any color I want for the desktop. 
5. How do I make text black on modest color background?

On my Windows 10 I only only get  text k on flame orange or sky blue. So I settled on the orange flame, but it brings on visual fatigue after about 30 min of use.
If there is a page where Microsoft or anybody explains all the visibility options, pleas tell me.
I want to use Windows 10, but it has a disability. It is stupid.  :(

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2017, 04:52:59 PM »
Later versions of Windows do not lack any of the accessibility features,
Really? Are you sure? Many vision impaired people have to fin-tune colors and font and contrast personally. The is no on-size-fits-all or anything even close. It looks like Microsoft  got rid of the people  that did accessibility for Windows XP.

I'd guess you are referring to the "Visual Effects" dialog? That was for customization, and wasn't intended to be used for ease-of-access. Win10 has several High Contrast Themes.

1.  How do I enlarge the mouse mouse pointer?

By changing the Mouse Pointer Scheme.... Same way as you do on Windows XP:

Windows 8 and Later also adjust the size of the Mouse Pointer based on the current DPI Setting.

2. How do I find the find the mouse pointer?  Hold the ctrl key? No.

"Show Location of Pointer when I press the CTRL Key". Again, setting is in the same place as it was on Windows XP. With Win10 you have to click the "Additional Settings" Option on the new Control Panel Interface to access the property pages.

3. How to I adjust font ans size of icon  titles?
You can change your System DPI.

You could also use the built in capability to change Title Bar Text Sizes. From Windows Settings, System, Display, then "Advanced Display Settings" on the right pane. "Advanced Sizing of Text and other Items" is present in the "Related Settings" at the bottom:

Font sizes can go to 24 here, and that also scales with the system DPI.

4. How do I choose any color I want for the desktop.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. If you mean the background you can do that in the expected location- same area which allows you to set the background wallpaper, or in the Theme Settings.

Now, it looks like they reworked some of this area of Control Panel, so perhaps fully custom options aren't available anymore (I can't seem to find them), though you get a not-wholly awful selection of colours. Custom colors definitely are possible, as I have custom options set for both.

5. How do I make text black on modest color background?

On my Windows 10 I only only get  text k on flame orange or sky blue. So I settled on the orange flame, but it brings on visual fatigue after about 30 min of use.

There are a few High Contrast options in the themes. These change the Title Bar appearance.

You can change the Accent Color as well, which can be set to change the title bar colour. (This used to have a fully custom option but seems they removed it- I'm set as a custom colour and yet can't find where I did so!)

I want to use Windows 10, but it has a disability. It is stupid.  :(
It's certainly no harbinger of good design,  with it's mishmash of old and new control panels, having to hop between them, and updates often shuffling things around; And the lack of the full Visual Effects dialog capabilities to customize pretty much everything down to specific fonts, colours, sizes, etc. is hardly great- We should be able to change things like the title bars font face or the font of Menus or whatever without resorting to registry hacks. Nonetheless, many of the things you were looking for were actually in the same place as they were in Windows XP; all that changes is the method of getting to those options. It's possible that many of these capabilities in Win10 were added since you last used it, as I remember the earlier releases being rather scant on many of the customization options.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2017, 07:19:54 PM »
Thank you very much BC. I have looked for those things for a year and never found them. In Windows XP the entry point was in accessibility.  Windows 10 did not let me know there were other places I could go to make visual adjustments, so I thought they were not there.
Back to topic.
My greater criticism is  with Google, not micros ft.
Google does not have, IMO, any good reason to ignore or threaten millions of Windows XP users. It almost seems like Microsoft and Google are in a secret collusion** to wean users to Windows 10. Would that benefit Google?

On the other hand, Kudos to Adobe for keeping a version of Flash that can be used on Windows XP. So I can watch Netflix on my Windows XP without the need to reboot into Widows 7 or Windows 10.

** Footnote.
col·lu·sion  kəˈlo͞oZHən/
noun: collusion
    secret or illegal cooperation or conspiracy, especially in order to cheat or deceive others.
    "the armed forces were working in collusion with drug traffickers"
    synonyms:   conspiracy, connivance, complicity, intrigue, plotting, secret understanding, collaboration, scheming
    "there had been collusion between the security forces and paramilitary groups"
        Law
        illegal cooperation or conspiracy, especially between ostensible opponents in a lawsuit. 

Anyway, I would use Chrome more if they would at least stop telling me Windows XP is just too old. I don't like it when people brush me off because of my age. I respect XP  for the way it  has held up to old age. (But I will go to Windows 10 hen I get the visual effects right.)  :)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2017, 08:20:45 PM »
Google does not have, IMO, any good reason to ignore or threaten millions of Windows XP users. It almost seems like Microsoft and Google are in a secret collusion** to wean users to Windows 10.

Could you perhaps explain this further? I don't see how no longer supporting Windows XP in Version 50 and later is in any way encouraging users to use Windows 10. Seems that it is rather trying to encourage people not to use an 16-year old Operating System and which no longer receive security updates, and washing their hands of attempting to keep Google Chrome from functioning on that OS due to the additional support, development, and testing effort required. There are three other Windows releases that are not Windows 10 that are fully supported for now.

When Firefox dropped support for Windows 98SE in 2008, did it "almost seem" like a secret collusion to push people towards Windows Vista?

The message in Google Chrome is advising that they stopped releasing any updates to Google Chrome on Windows XP in April 2016, and thus your use of the browser is at your own risk.

I would use Chrome more if they would at least stop telling me Windows XP is just too old. I don't like it when people brush me off because of my age.
Dropping support for Windows XP is in no way brushing you off because of your age, it's avoiding supporting an older Operating System, not older people.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2017, 11:24:15 PM »
You logic is sound.  :-X

Sometimes I do use Chrome.
When  I want to Chrome cast, I boot up Windows 10 and start up chrome.
That  is one important area where XP is just behind the current stuff.

Which might go  another topic.
The  PC use profile is changing. It is now a part of a larger communications, entertainment and personal digital assistant world whit interactive visual effects that will go way beyond what  you can do with just a monitor. Older operating systems will not hold up in the new cyber  frontier.

Meanwhile, I am in a rut trying to get up to speed with Windows 10.

strollin

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2017, 08:39:25 AM »
I've worked in software development for the past 31 years and the reason software companies push people to move to newer versions of their software is because it is expensive to support those previous versions.  A company would much rather use their highly paid developers to create and maintain newer versions than have them maintain older versions THAT PRODUCE NO INCOME.   

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2017, 09:08:28 AM »
Excellent point  !

You can change the Accent Color as well, which can be set to change the title bar colour. (This used to have a fully custom option but seems they removed it- I'm set as a custom colour and yet can't find where I did so!)

BC...isn't this enabled if you go to create your own Theme in personalisation ? ?
I think thats wher i found it...but i'm back to a stock theme...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "