Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help! Ip address issues  (Read 4633 times)

Nathancyn

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Help! Ip address issues
    « on: June 02, 2017, 08:24:55 AM »
    So today I have tried to setup my Netgear WN604 access point
    To do this I had to mess around with the IP addresses
    This proved to be quite the challenge into trying to get it to work
    The issue now is that I set the IP address to a different IP on the settings page
    And the new IP I set it to was the IP of my home hub
    And so when I attempt to go back to the settings page writing e.g.: 123.456.7.890 into the search bar it just comes up with settings for my home hub, please help! Does anyone know how I can reset the IP of my access point back to default?!

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Help! Ip address issues
    « Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 08:44:23 AM »
    Should be a small microbutton in a paperclip diameter hole. Hold that microbutton it during power up of access point and then the access point will go back to factory default. * Hint many use paperclip, but warning.... make sure its the microbutton hole before inserting metal paperclip into hole. If its a single hole in the unit its likely the microbutton hole. Looking into the hole with a flashlight or good lighting should show a usually red, sometimes back plastic button face to press against

Other option is use a cross over cable direct PC to access point or a switch that is an unmanaged type that doesnt have an IP address and connect to the access point at the IP address you configured in error, switch it to different IP address and save changes, reboot of access point and then all set to go to bring it back to your network which has a managed switch that has an IP. ***Going the route of cross over cable direct connection or unmanaged switch as a means to not require a cross over cable will require use of static IP addresses.

The microbutton held in at boot of the access point is the best method if available to you.

Nathancyn

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 08:50:53 AM »
      I am not sure what you mean sorry, I have tried to manually reset the access point but still nothing and I am a little bit confused with regards to the cross over cable connection of which you were speaking about any chance you would be able to simplify it down a little for a dummy like myself  xD

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 09:25:17 AM »
      Does your access point have a RESET written on it or in raised lettering with a pin hole like this?
      https://documentation.meraki.com/@api/deki/files/1460/=99492695-e477-4119-aa23-48addd32790f?revision=1

If so... hold this button in at boot of the access point about 10 seconds and then release the button and it should clear it back to factory default.

If you dont have this option then we can dig deeper into another method.  :)

Nathancyn

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 11:43:00 AM »
        Okay, I will try this when I set it all back up again. Just wondering, do you know if having these two things on the same IP address is a bad thing or does it not make much difference?

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 07:47:47 PM »
        Each device should have its own unique IP address, otherwise you will have problems.